Beach finds-Bullet shell markings- any idea? Watch Part?, Metal Bar?

jrlowe

Mar 20, 2006

Attachments

• resize beach.JPG
    resize beach.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,056
  • resize 2.JPG
    resize 2.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 587
  • resize 3.JPG
    resize 3.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 2,022
  • resize 4.JPG
    resize 4.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 550
If you found all of that ordnance in the same vicinity, that wavy metal bar with the score-lines might be the copper belt/girdle of a fired artillery round that exploded. That's the only thing I can think of.

DSC_4739.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_4739.JPG
    DSC_4739.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0
Your ammo brass is Lake City manufacture.
LC-86...made in 1986
LC-98...Made in 1998
yer bullet appears to be a .30, 168gr, FMJB,Full Metal jacket Boat tail.
Standard issue ammo.
The smaller casing looks like .30 or 30-06. If yer sure the smaller one is .50, then i would say yer bigger one is 20 millimeter.
No clue on yer other two items.

Upvote 0
Fifty cal shells are marked with the US Gov. designation for the Lake City Arsenal where that ammo was made. The numbers are the year of manufacture. The larger shell looks like a 20mm shell. Long wavy bar looks like a silted up and solidified watch band.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Upvote 0
Jim and the Rev both got it but Jim misspelled Lake City :D. Must have been where a military exercise took place or an old weapons range? The smaller item looks a lot like a very small heel plate, 'cept I see 4 mounting holes for screws and the one big hole on the upper rt side. 'Sides it is way too small I think. But I do think it is some sort of reinforcement tab or plate that was screwed on. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Jim and the Rev both got it but Jim misspelled Lake City :D. Must have been where a military exercise took place or an old weapons range? The smaller item looks a lot like a very small heel plate, 'cept I see 4 mounting holes for screws and the one big hole on the upper rt side. 'Sides it is way too small I think. But I do think it is some sort of reinforcement tab or plate that was screwed on. Monty

Myself and many others have dug ordnance from Va Beach Monty. My 1st time there i dug a grenade spoon.Dat was pretty cool.

Upvote 0
It is a 50 cal projectile and bullet (YES Lake City 1986), a 20mm shell casing, and it sure looks like a copper rotaing band off artillery projectile that has been fired. Then came off steel projectile later. WHY would they be firing LIVE ammo in 1980's off VA beach is the bigger question, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Upvote 0
Hey Guys.

Thanks for all the responses.
This was in Sandbridge and I know the seals "Practice" there.
I guess these things have been buried off sea for a while until the new sand replinishment took place. The bullets ding like mad and so do the casings.

I have a few more things I will post later. Kepp the info flowing.

John

Upvote 0
Ordnance items for sure, the scored flat band thing is called a rotating band and it is normally made of a soft metal like copper. The soft metal would cut into the rifeling on the gun tube when it was fired. This caused the round to spin just like a rifle round. To answer why would they be firing weapons into the ocen in the 1980's they were probably firing them during the 1920's and now parts are being washed ashore. It's very common to find UXO Unexploded Ordnance items on the beach following storms or huricanes. The military EOD units in Florida often find 500 pound bombs in the yards of millon dollar homes following a huricane.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back