beach depth test, CTX, MANTICORE, EQUINOX, LEGEND, SCORE, DOUBLE SCORE,XTERRA PRO

My DEUS II has hit some targets on the beach that I can't find, never really had that issue with my old Whites DFX..
Just too deep to find, never really lose the signal just can't find it... :dontknow: 🤣

My DEUS II has hit some targets on the beach that I can't find, never really had that issue with my old Whites DFX..
Just too deep to find, never really lose the signal just can't find it... :dontknow: 🤣
Could be something really small. I’ve found some things with the Deus II that I’ve been holding in my hand and still can’t see them. Thank goodness for pinpointers.

Could be something really small. I’ve found some things with the Deus II that I’ve been holding in my hand and still can’t see them. Thank goodness for pinpointers.
I think they were probably legitimate targets but I can't get much further than 12-15 inches with a shovel, after that the handle is in the hole. I generally don't carry a pinpointer with me to the beach, Several times I was able to locate a target after much effort and I remember one was a nickel. Its just hard to determine where something is, in a 2 foot hole.... and after a while I just give up, or its a whisper target indicating that it is of extreme depth, and I just pass because I know it will be too much of a pain in the ass to try to dig and find. (I'm 60 BTW and when I was younger I would have dug to china hahaha)

I think they were probably legitimate targets but I can't get much further than 12-15 inches with a shovel, after that the handle is in the hole. I generally don't carry a pinpointer with me to the beach, Several times I was able to locate a target after much effort and I remember one was a nickel. Its just hard to determine where something is, in a 2 foot hole.... and after a while I just give up, or its a whisper target indicating that it is of extreme depth, and I just pass because I know it will be too much of a pain in the ass to try to dig and find. (I'm 60 BTW and when I was younger I would have dug to china hahaha)
Well you need to get a better shovel then if that's the limit of depth digging in sand.
Dig in a blue clay field-sand is butter type of digging.

Heck I had envisioned you as in your 80s the way you've been posting up finds-needing to liquidate the collection-getting long in the tooth.:laughing7:
But I will tell you this it only gets better after 60 another 5 and it's still sliding downhill for digging.
Mentally we can still dig dumps, pits, and many 2ft recoveries.
Physically the 10hr haunt day is followed by a few very quiet days now.

A Pinpointer is your friend when it comes to recoveries in the dirt or sand.
Did 40 without one-15 with one-and it sucks not to have one.

Well you need to get a better shovel then if that's the limit of depth digging in sand.
Dig in a blue clay field-sand is butter type of digging.

Heck I had envisioned you as in your 80s the way you've been posting up finds-needing to liquidate the collection-getting long in the tooth.:laughing7:
But I will tell you this it only gets better after 60 another 5 and it's still sliding downhill for digging.
Mentally we can still dig dumps, pits, and many 2ft recoveries.

A Pinpointer is your friend when it comes to recoveries in the dirt or sand.
Did 40 without one-15 with one-and it sucks not to have one.
You have apparently never seen me dig on the beach with my shovel ha ha ha, its not really 12-15 inches but more like 2 feet X 2 feet... hole... and when you get that big and the target is still popping in the hole, you just get tired of trying to find it.. And yes I said I was 60, I did not say I was dead ha ha ha .. I'm a disabled veteran with a few medical conditions that hinder aggressive digging... So if you want to dig to china for a penny, be my guest ha ha ha ...

10 hour day would be the end game for me, they would be dragging me out of the water..
TESTING THE UNITS ON WET SALT SAND BEACH.
Enjoyed the video, be interesting to see several hunters participating with different and same machines. Good of Jim to jump in with the CTX.

Then they would be "dragging" me out of the water with a full pouch of gold.

Sad to say the most I can do now is about 4 hours at 71 years old.
Year ago in Spain we hit a beach that apparently did not get hunted much, although we only got 2-3 pieces of gold, (might have been the machines we were using) (Fisher CZ-5 was not sensitive to gold on salt beaches) we took between 500-600 coins and other targets from the higher tide mark. Nothing really old, all of it mostly modern coins, I remember having to return to the car 3-4 times to empty my pockets but we spent 8 hours there and the next day we could hardly walk, ha ha ha
Just so you know, it was a semi private beach community that wasn't really accessible to everybody, there were many people who hunted the beaches in Spain, but if you could find one off the beaten path it was possible to get lucky..

When i was a kid and was first exposed / learned about detecting... i was prolly 12ish... (80's)
I would hear stories of the veteran guys out on various local to my area beaches having days at certain times where 10ozt of gold and more in a day was not out of the question.

Last edited:
When i was a kid and was first exposed / learned about detecting... i was prolly 12ish... (80's)
I would hear stories of the veteran guys out on various local to my area beaches having days at certain times where 10ozt of gold and more in a day was not out of the questio
I"ve heard many similar stories about the past. Even I guy I'm fairly good friends with that is still alive today. Steve Noga, who is 81. Has shared many of the places they hunted and stories. Than a family member Lloyd Hess has shared of how they would have a jar on the boat for 10/14/18k gold. End of day the 10 n 14k would be filled.
Another, Harry had some amazing times as a diver, digger sifter before metal detectors. Harry did finally move to Florida and did great there also.. From what I heard.
fink gold.jpg

I"ve heard many similar stories about the past. Even I guy I'm fairly good friends with that is still alive today. Steve Noga, who is 81. Has shared many of the places they hunted and stories. Than a family member Lloyd Hess has shared of how they would have a jar on the boat for 10/14/18k gold. End of day the 10 n 14k would be filled.
Another, Harry had some amazing times as a diver, digger sifter before metal detectors. Harry did finally move to Florida and did great there also.. From what I heard.
View attachment 2120541
Wow! Congratulations on hitting the mother lode! I thought i was doing good with 100 gold rings in a year!

Well here is the dealio with the stories I heard... these guys were hitting the "drunk spots" in the 80's
... gold jewelry was the big thing in fashion and just about everyone was wearing it.... and loosing it.
The drunk holes as i said were the spots behind the beach bars and sandbar areas.
They would low tide it and rake it in.
The other spots were any spot that had hard core tourist activities... but the drunk holes were the best from what i understood.
Many times on weekends these places were teaming with people HARD CORE drinking... throwing sports balls and Frisbees diving off boats etc etc.
Big party all around.
These days those same spots are definitely "tame" to those days.
I never experienced any days like those then OR like you posted above.

Wow! Congratulations on hitting the mother lode! I thought i was doing good with 100 gold rings in a year!

Not me but a gentleman named Harry Fink.. who has passed now.

And
If your finding a 100 gold rings a year, now days your doing Great! It requires a lot of swing time on the beach or in the water.

I use to post over on the now gone "TreasureDepot' Ring daddy page.. I had 7 years 2015 to 2021 averaging over 100 gold rings a year. Health reason I have hit a bump, not sure if ever will be able to do those numbers again.

Like ARC said, nothing like years ago..

IMG_27761.jpg
IMG_27661.jpg

Last edited:
There was a couple in the keys that had an immense collection of gold finds... it was featured in one of the old detecting mags even... i will see if i can find the issue... might still have it in a pile of oldies i have somewhere... the collection covered their entire living room.
Spanish treasures included in there as well.

Good testing CD

So I wonder if CTX Jim was impressed enough to be shedding 4 lbs of detector and stepping forward a decade in technology?
No doubt if I hunted the open beach, like him, I would have one of the new machines. I am surprised the CTX did not get the gold ring at 12 inches. That was a very impressive video.

Something I am seeing and several have posted about this, the new machines do great until they go under, in saltwater. Than they have to be adjusted to use them. I know I have encountered both 800, 900 NOXs, Manticore and had no problem finding targets they either could not hear or the target ID'ed as iron (In waist to chest deep salt/brackish waters) . All said there machines were a little chattery also, and the same went for the one D2 guy I ran into said. I never got a chance to do any compares with him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back