Bayonet with strange markings.

Old Joe Clark

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2019
Houston, Tx.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy got it from his dad. It’s about 21 inches. Thank you. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555740781.339551.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555740803.420545.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1555740831.288723.jpg

tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found
A guide to some of the markings found on British bayonets - a lot of good information on this link. Here are a few...

wd.jpg War Department/Board of Ordnance marks - Before 1855 BO with a broad upward arrow. After 1855 WD and arrow.
39.jpg View Marks - often found in large numbers. Represents the mark of a factory inspector at critical points during the production process. "B" marks originate at RSAF Birmingham, "E" from Enfield "S" from Solingen (pre 1885) or Sheffield (Post 1885), "L" from Liege etc. The variations in inspection stamps contains enough material for a book in itself.

Upvote 0
Welcome Joe! Beautiful condition.

Great ID work guys!

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
The writing is the same as on Nepalese coins, similar to Cambodian, but I believe the Nepal connection is correct. Makes you wonder how something from Nepal made it to Texas! My father-in-law gave me an odd coin he got in a handful of Indian Head pennies he bought once. It was the same size and color, but had odd markings. I later identified it to be 800 years old from northern Iran, the Kwarazemian empire (probably spelled wrong). Taught me to never rule out any possibility.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The writing is the same as on Nepalese coins, similar to Cambodian, but I believe the Nepal connection is correct. Makes you wonder how something from Nepal made it to Texas! My father-in-law gave me an odd coin he got in a handful of Indian Head pennies he bought once. It was the same size and color, but had odd markings. I later identified it to be 800 years old from northern Iran, the Kwarazemian empire (probably spelled wrong). Taught me to never rule out any possibility.

Thats because they are all "Brahmic" scripts, which if memory serves me right comes from Sanskrit. I travelled a bit in SE Asia and once you go out in the boondocks you are pretty lost if you wan to read a sign...

I also think it from Nepal, but in any case from the subcontinent (including Burma this time). All the other coutntries have never been british colonies.

Greets Namxat

Upvote 0
I have one of the Nepaese Enfields from IMA with unit marks from the 4th Gurkha Rifles on the trigger guard. When I was researching it I found this site with a lot of the markings translated http://www.archivingindustry.com/Gunsandgunmakers/gunmarks.pdf

I couldn't find a match to mine because it turns out that many of the various unit markings were hand carved and the writing varied quite a bit in Nepal back then, but I contacted the author and sent him some pics and he was nice enough to translate all of the markings for me.rifle trigger guard.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back