Bayonet tip, Oops!!!!!

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Got out to a nearby favorite spot near a war of 1812 encampment for only about 30 minutes before the skys opened up.? Did find this 9 inch bayonet tip and nice 1 3/8 diameter colonial button.? I don't know enough about bayonets (yet) to tell if this is from 1812 or the revoutionary war....Lance

Update: Now I did say I did not know much about bayonets, and this just proves it.? I was speaking to my neighbor who lives next to where I found the bayonet tip and was explaining what I found.? He is a gun dealer and collector of antique arms, so I thought he would be able to help me.? He did.? He brought out a hanger for cast iron pipe which looked exactly like my bayonet tip but broken off.? He did admit that it looked similar, but I definately did not find a bayonet tip.? Turn out that he had used several broken ones for property markers about twenty years ago, and this one happened to make it under ground a bit.? The button was real though.? Had to be honest. (but he did ruin my evening).? ?Lance

Upvote 0
WOW looks like someone's bayonet needs to be sharpened. But that is a cool button, I think that I might come out there and find a few myself. Keep trying.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back