• MVC-095S.JPG
    MVC-095S.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 597
  • MVC-094S.JPG
    MVC-094S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 650
Upvote 0
Miner,

I am no authority on the matter, but the one I have is triangular. It is definitely not brass by the way. Mine is steel. Good luck!!

Sneaky6

sneaky6 said:
Miner,

I am no authority on the matter, but the one I have is triangular. It is definitely not brass by the way. Mine is steel. Good luck!!

Sneaky6
I also agree

fortbball9

Thanks guys.
I had found a diamond shaped length of steel at one of my CW sites this week and was hoping. ;D
-MM-

WELL MM,
BOUT ALL I CAN TELL YA IS THE ONE I HAVE IS "STEEL" ABOUT 19" LONG, IN THE SHAPE OF A TRIANGLE WITH A SLIGHT CURVE FROM THE TIP TO HILT
[/img]
LARGE BORE 69. CAL. ( 1816 ) FRICTION TYPE BAYONET WOTHOUT LOCK RING . THEY ARE NOMALY MADE OF STEEL . AND THERE ARE BRASS ONES , TOO. NOT SURE IF THEY WHERE USED DURING " CW "

SORRY I COULDN'T BE, MORE HELP

KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

Attachments

• 3-18-2008_018.jpg
    3-18-2008_018.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 557
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 705
  • 3-18-2008_018.jpg
    3-18-2008_018.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 526
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 683
Thanks for the info ML.
Man, you have quite the collection going there. GREAT relics! :thumbsup:
Here is a picture if the piece I dug. I know CW troops camped on this property I detect at, so I was hoping any of these rusty finds were CW related. I'm pretty sure all the RR spikes I find in that flat field were used as tent stakes.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-096S.JPG
    MVC-096S.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 643
I'll take "triangular" and "steel" for 500, Alex

BuckleBoy said:
I'll take "triangular" and "steel" for 500, Alex

Is that your final answer? ;D

Could it have been a picket pin to hold your horse at night??

TnMountains said:
Could it have been a picket pin to hold your horse at night??

Could be...but the realist in me also thinks that's a tough sell, without the top part/ring attached to the dug piece. :-\

Dang, It's really hard to get good pics to show the shape of a bayonet. The one I found is flat on the top and triangular with sloping sides on the bottom.

Whole bayonet
bayo (3).JPG

Top to bottom difference
bayo (4).JPG

bayo.JPG

bottom
bayo (2).JPG

DKW,
Those pictures are just fine. Actually they show the actual shape very well. Thanks for posting those.
Awesome find by the way. :thumbsup:
-MM-

OMG! i found one of those today the thing your pointing at! cool!

ModernMiner said:
Thanks for the info ML.
Here is a picture if the piece I dug. I know CW troops camped on this property I detect at, so I was hoping any of these rusty finds were CW related. I'm pretty sure all the RR spikes I find in that flat field were used as tent stakes.
Thanks,
MM

Is it it :-\ hope the pics arent too bad. Its the size of a golf tee.

ModernMiner said:
Thanks for the info ML.
Thanks,
MM

Attachments

• 103_0180.jpg
    103_0180.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 433
If you've found a diamond shaped piece of steel don't lose all hope!! The bayonets that fit on enfield and springfield rifles were in fact triangluar. The Confederate Government purchased a very very large number of Austrian Lorenz rifles that used diamond shaped bayonets instead of triangular. The socket was also different. Instead of sliding straight down on the front sight and then turning to lock the Lorenz bayonet rotates down on the front sight then locks.

rebelfirefighter07 said:
If you've found a diamond shaped piece of steel don't lose all hope!! The bayonets that fit on enfield and springfield rifles were in fact triangluar. The Confederate Government purchased a very very large number of Austrian Lorenz rifles that used diamond shaped bayonets instead of triangular. The socket was also different. Instead of sliding straight down on the front sight and then turning to lock the Lorenz bayonet rotates down on the front sight then locks.

RF,
That is great info. It's funny you should mention Austrian. I dug a .69 bullet at that same property a while back, and never got it ID'd.
Recently I ran it by a TN member and he mentioned it looked like an Austrian .69.
Attached are a few pictures.
What do you folks think. Same bullet? :dontknow:
Could this bullet be tied to that kind of Austrian rifle perhaps? :dontknow:
Thanks for any input,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-106S.JPG
    MVC-106S.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 338
  • MVC-107S.JPG
    MVC-107S.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 303
It was a mean time... diamond shaped or triangular were used because 1. strength and 2. the wounds don't close easy. Something to think about.

La Beep said:
It was a mean time... diamond shaped or triangular were used because 1. strength and 2. the wounds don't close easy. Something to think about.

La Beep,
Thanks for that info.
-MM-

ModernMiner said:
rebelfirefighter07 said:

I think I have a bullet like that somewhere?
RF,
That is great info. It's funny you should mention Austrian. I dug a .69 bullet at that same property a while back, and never got it ID'd.
Recently I ran it by a TN member and he mentioned it looked like an Austrian .69.
Attached are a few pictures.
What do you folks think. Same bullet? :dontknow:
Could this bullet be tied to that kind of Austrian rifle perhaps? :dontknow:
Thanks for any input,
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back