Battle of South Mills

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
http://www.albemarle-nc.com/camden/history/civilwar/
http://gen.culpepper.com/archives/nc/places/nclocks.htm

Guess who was granted permission to MD this area in the winter? Thats right, yours truly! The entire area is privately owned by someone who belongs to the the same club as me, and when the crops are done, just after Thanksgiving, I'm in there like swimwear!

One of my favorite quotes from the battle is: "It was then as if some superhuman hand, capable of holding bushels of bullets and grapeshot in the palm, was hurling them upon us," Pvt. Charles Johnson, of the 9th New York, wrote after the battle.

Hey Darren in NC, want to get together later this year?

Upvote 0
cryptodave said:

You bet, Dave! I'd be crazy not to ;) Let's stay in touch. I've got a cannon in VA I'd like to pull out of the river. Maybe you could come along for that ride, too, since you're not too far.

Best,
Darren

Darren in NC said:
cryptodave said:

You bet, Dave! I'd be crazy not to ;) Let's stay in touch. I've got a cannon in VA I'd like to pull out of the river. Maybe you could come along for that ride, too, since you're not too far.

Best,
Darren

Great, I am currently doing as much research as I can on it with original maps and topos, and will going through as much of the written accounts as I can to place where troops were.... Interesting side note to this battle is that a 14 year old drummer boy was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on the battlefield here.

Oh, and just keep me in the know on the cannon, I would love to get together for that!

cryptodave said:
http://www.albemarle-nc.com/camden/history/civilwar/
http://gen.culpepper.com/archives/nc/places/nclocks.htm

Guess who was granted permission to MD this area in the winter? Thats right, yours truly! The entire area is privately owned by someone who belongs to the the same club as me, and when the crops are done, just after Thanksgiving, I'm in there like swimwear!

One of my favorite quotes from the battle is: "It was then as if some superhuman hand, capable of holding bushels of bullets and grapeshot in the palm, was hurling them upon us," Pvt. Charles Johnson, of the 9th New York, wrote after the battle.

Hey Crypto Would Love To Join You On Your Hunt, Am Retiring From The Fire Dept In Sept. And Will Have Lots Of Time To Spare, Let Me Know. trk5capt...

trk, I don't have a problem with it, the more the merry. It will be after Thanksgiving before we can even start detecting, but like I said, I'm trying to do research on the site now.... Oh, and right down the street from this site is a masonic lodge called widows son, which was used by the union army as a base camp during the occupation of Elizabeth City. I've gotten permission to detect that too.

Cryptodave,
I live in Dare county and am fairly new to the metal detecting hobby and was wondering if i could join your little expedition? You dont find many people here in the area that want to share their spots with others so if I can help in anyway let me know.

Cryptodave
1 month ago I moved from Oregon to Virginia. I Just purchased an official military atlas of the civil war and it has some maps of the campaign you are referring too. I located a number of promising spots you may want to try. Let me know if I could possibly be included in the hunt. If not I will still offer the maps and information I have gathered. Here are a couple of the relics I found at a Union camp outside of Petersburg.
-Ev

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 256

Top Member Reactions