Bass Assassin 14

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I almost didn’t pick up this 7-up bottle. One thing about going to the same beach over and over is that you start to recognize the stuff that you didn’t pick up and constantly pass over. My basin is COVERED with bits of encrusted metal, square spikes, old log boom cables, rifle shells, etc. I tend to pick up the more interesting stuff like copper ships nails, coins, knives, flat irons, interesting bullets, brass stuff or anything fishing related, but tend to leave the old car parts etc. right where they lay.

There are some bottles I pass over too. I don’t know how many times I walked by this little one over the years. But I always noticed it and never gave it no mind. I mean to say, how many of these have I tossed away over the years anyway? These were exactly the kind of bottles we used to shoot or toss rocks at too. There is more “green” glass on the beach than any other color.

But one day I realized that, ya know, that bottle is kinda odd. So I picked it up and gave it a look see. Seven ounces huh? And that was a popular size too back in the day. Can you imagine a seven ounce soda being the size of choice today? (How large is a “big gulp” anyway?) The coloring looked odd too, all white on green glass, no red/orange. For a long time I just figured that was beach wear and fading but one day I stumbled on this site….

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/thesodafizz/SevenUp_BLockhart.pdf

It turns out that this specific bottle can be accurately dated to between 1942 and 1945 and that white on green, no orange….was a result of war time conservation of the color for war time use.

Attachments

• DSC03484.JPG
    DSC03484.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 125
Thats a unique bottle. I would keep it as well . Thanks for another bottle story unclemac

you must have been bornin the late 40s,or early 50s.I to did not think much of the pyro glaze stuff,but youll be serprized what people will collict.ACLs are hot idems,yours is in good shape,most dont holed up well in or aroud damp grond.good hunting!

you must have been bornin the late 40s,or early 50s.I to did not think much of the pyro glaze stuff,but youll be serprized what people will collict.ACLs are hot idems,yours is in good shape,most dont holed up well in or aroud damp grond.good hunting!

yeah it is hard to collect what you used to keep in your medicine chest or garage. How many things have I tossed over the years that people collect now?...who knows. I often wonder what I should be collection right now! what is cheap, readily available, and overlooked... You know...what is the next big thing. I have a friend that is big into 50's kitsch. He even bought a 1950's style brick house...everything in it is 50's, as is the landscaping. It is pretty great actually. He has a wall...a whole wall of "lady head vases".....wonderful stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back