Baseball glove in logging camp?

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a "pennant Line" button in a 100y/o R.R. logging camp, I researched the button and could only find info on a "pennant brand" line of baseball gloves from 1910-1920 ish. I have read an interview done with a old time logging employee that stated all of the camps from this company had a baseball field, Have I finally found some evidence? I found out the Pennant Brand had a whole line of sporting goods maybe even non sporting goods, maybe there is an baseball glove expert out there that can help verify. The "glove" went through a bunkhouse fire so the button is all that remains, its in rough shape, hard to photograph. thanks!

Attachments

• P9030537.JPG
    P9030537.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 146
  • P9030542.JPG
    P9030542.JPG
    611.5 KB · Views: 147
  • P9030539.JPG
    P9030539.JPG
    525.9 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 3
Thats is very cool!!!Baseball was a very huge past time all the way back to the C.W.,many towns had Baseball Teams,and the whole town would attend the games....great rivalries!!!!

Thats is very cool!!!Baseball was a very huge past time all the way back to the C.W.,many towns had Baseball Teams,and the whole town would attend the games....great rivalries!!!!
Thanks Kuger! I think I know where the field once was it is the only flat spot in the vicinity of the camp, I haven't done much swinging there because there is no metal and tall grass...time to break out the weed eater! I forgot to mention the text on button is written in a wave, like the lettering is on a flag blowing in the wind.

Yep,get that weed eater out...LOL!Boy have I done that...didnt seem to mind it as much as when I have to do my yard....???LOL!Depending how remote,might be a great place to possibly find lost coins...even the non athletic loggers would be relaxing sitting or laying,as spectators.
My grandmother used to tell about the local field here where the town Teams(which consisted largely of gold miners...that and logging were the two main industries here)would play and on ocassion the BIG celebrity star players were come and put on exhibitions.She said it was one of the biggest deals of the year....that field is now under pavement

Yep,get that weed eater out...LOL!Boy have I done that...didnt seem to mind it as much as when I have to do my yard....???LOL!Depending how remote,might be a great place to possibly find lost coins...even the non athletic loggers would be relaxing sitting or laying,as spectators.
My grandmother used to tell about the local field here where the town Teams(which consisted largely of gold miners...that and logging were the two main industries here)would play and on ocassion the BIG celebrity star players were come and put on exhibitions.She said it was one of the biggest deals of the year....that field is now under pavement
Oh man does that ever get my detector juices flowing, this camp was very remote and had 200 men working at its peak. The camp is a time capsule, nothing before 1910 and nothing after 1913. Thanks for the encouragement, seems the sidelines could be just as fruitful as the field. Thanks again, Kuger!

Below is the West Point Team.....long time Logging Town,and boasted a baseball field for 150 years...still exists today

Last edited:
Thats a great pic! I have wanted to find a sports related item in the camp and this button could be it. Perhaps this small button will lead me to the ball field. Incredible to think there could have been a ball field so close to where I've been detecting for the past three years...a field where any coin found would be at least pre-1913.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back