Barn Find, Wood and Brass Mystery Contraption

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Hello to the best group of knowledgable researchers/detectives I've ever came across. I have studied this item,racked my brain and thought if anybody could figure this one out it would be the guys and gals on the What is It forum.
Found this in an old barn dating to the mid 1800's. No idea how old this is but it appears to be an early electrical motor of some kind and it's purpose has me baffled. I believe the wood is oak and the corners are held together with brass angles.
Inside there are two brass gears sitting in a brass frame. There is a free spinning pair of magnitized coils and they are in line with the ends of a large iron,horseshoe shaped magnet. There is a drive pully on the coils that would have driven the the nearest pully since it is grooved the same as the gear and is in perfect alignment. Missing is a hinged lid that would have been locked shut.
There is a brass grommet on the outside of the box in line with the threaded shaft of the largest gear like this contraption may have ultimately driven something "outside the box" There are NO MARKINGS anywhere,no numbers,letters... nothing that i can find anyways and i've looked it over pretty close.
I welcome any wag's or if someone can give me a positive idea you will make my day! Have fun with this one!!! Jerry

Attachments

• box1.JPG
    box1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 395
  • box10.JPG
    box10.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 358
  • box9.JPG
    box9.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 363
  • box8.JPG
    box8.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 379
  • box7.JPG
    box7.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 390
  • box6.JPG
    box6.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 371
  • box5.JPG
    box5.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 367
  • box4.JPG
    box4.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 361
  • box3.JPG
    box3.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 388
  • box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 377
Jerry, without doing any research, and just making an assumption on your pics, I came up with 3 ideas. My first thought is a very early electrical motor, Edison type (pre-Civil War) that could have been used as a Medical Induction Coil. Back during that time, electricity was thought to cure diseases. A MIC would step-up voltage; the higher the volts, the better the cure (so to speak.)

My second thought was a portable telegraph 'spy' box, where a lineman would tap into the telegraph line to send false messages to the enemy.

My third thought was an early electric fan.

Whatever it is, it's a neat find, Breezie

Upvote 0
My WAG is a detonation magneto, like for dynamite or similar explosives.

Many were cranked like that and not pushed with a plunger... Regardless of what the movies lead one to believe.

Are there mines in your area?

Sky Pilot

Upvote 0
Davis & Kidder Electro-Therapeutic Shocking Machine, c. 1870-1890; Mahogany box 5" x 5" x 10"; In working condition - cranking the handle produces electric shocks; With two hand electrodes; original wire and connections in excellent condition; Comes with original key (case locks), Original cat-gut cord is still tight.

$350

This early electro-therapeutic device produces alternating current electricity. The strength and frequency of the current is controlled by changing the cranking speed. Electricity is generated by a pair of solenoids that spin against the poles of a large horseshoe magnet. Gears and pulleys drive the spinning solenoids at a high rate of speed as the crank is turned.

The therapeutic value of the treatment, if any, was likely due to the placebo effect. With the electric shocks coursing through his body as he gripped the hand electrodes, the patient definitely felt that 'something was being done' about his complaint. Electricity was a new and novel force in the 1800's and most patients had no prior exposure to it, adding to its curative mystique

Attachments

• ql119a.jpg
    ql119a.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 421
  • ql119b.jpg
    ql119b.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 351
  • ql119c.jpg
    ql119c.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0
Like i said you all are the best when it comes to identifying mystery items. :hello2: Breezie you were right on with your guess of some sort of electrotherapy. Trixie Charger,wow!! you nailed it out of the ballpark!!! This is the exact same one as mine,I'm impressed.Thanks for all your comments,any idea of value? For now it's gonna make a great conversation piece ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back