Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all! I'm posting this in Today's Finds because I heard it today.

I want to start by thanking any of you who have provided identifications or cleaning recommendations for items found at the banner field this past year. Some of you may remember that it's an 18th-century meetinghouse and cemetery on a hayfield in Pennsylvania Mennonite country. Digging History ~ the research team consisting of me and scotk9 ~ dug, preserved, and mounted 53 coins and relics in two shadow box displays for a non-profit conservancy that oversees maintenance and preservation of the site. The larger of the two displays, containing 31 relics, will eventually be presented to a local heritage museum and the second, with 23 coins and relics, has been presented to the site conservancy itself:

large display.jpg small box.jpg

The large display is about 3' x 4' on its outside edges. The display area itself is about 2' x 3' in the center. The outer frame is made of old barn wood from an abandoned farmhouse nearby. The inner display area is an improvised wood box that slides (with difficulty) in and out of the outer frame, and the background is green/gray felt. The small box is about 18" square and I got it at Marshalls, the background is loose burlap.

Anywho, I met with the conservancy custodian today, "H.", at his farm. It was his first look at either of the boxes since permitting us to dig in the hayfield. He was thrilled! Apparently, the conservancy will be teaming up with the township, the heritage museum, and one or two more local associations to form a non-profit that has plans to build a walking path that will encompass the site and some acreage around it. The future members of this non-profit have a conference tomorrow about the planning of the path project, and H intends to share the displays with them. He was ecstatic about our efforts and the timeliness of my arrival, as we have given him something to present as tangible incentive to continue to preserve the site and the area.

Update: To continue where I left off, the other reason why our timing was impeccable is because the planning for the trail includes planting native-species plants in the hayfield to give the site a more rustic, original look. Staking for the trail and some of the garden areas should be taking place in the next few weeks as the polar vortex dissipates and spring comes. I'm hoping we can get one or two more hunts in before anything significant is done to the site, but it was very fortuitous that we were able to dig there this past year.

There is also a nearby property that will allow the trail to run just inside its border on which sits one of the oldest standing original log homes in the township. (You can see a picture of the house on our website under the Research | Bishop Farm section.) This property was essentially given to a church organization to save it from becoming a housing development and having the original home razed. The church had intended to restore the home and turn it into a youth center, but further developments learned yesterday indicate the church may raze it anyway instead of taking on the onerous burden of restoration. To prevent this travesty, Digging History has been making inquiries to the Pennsylvania Historical Commission for the process of nominating the house to the National Register of Historic Places.

Enjoy!

~J.
Digging History
Home - Digging History

Last edited:
Upvote 5
Well done! Your a shinning example to our hobby, gold star for you!

attachment.php

Excellent presentation pieces, cti4sw!

It sounds like you had perfect timing, too.

I particularly admire the barn wood backed one.

This cannot help but generate some great public relations for you guys.

Well done, sir! We oughta have an award for this kinda action…

ClioAward.jpg

Thanks to all who responded. I've updated the original post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back