Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Baltimore brass - ?

In Lake Clifton park a trash pit was discovered on Saturday. A flattened silver-plate syrup pitcher (Warren Silver Plate Company - New York #851), pieces of a cobalt blue bottle (Everlasting Black Dye - Baltimore, MD), pieces of green glass to a Geo. Bauernschmidt beer, various pottery shards, a crystal chandelier piece, and the pictured brass hinge were found. My best guess on the hinge is that it was part to a door knocker. There appears to be something like a date on the smaller piece; while on the back there is a maker's mark and what looks like "344" and possibly the makers initials. Anyone found something like this? IMG_2059.JPGIMG_2060.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks 'Mud Hut', you nailed it. The hinge must have been turned back on itself when it was buried. Unfortunately, the hinge pin is iron and that went through a lot of corrosion. I'd probably damage the piece if I attempted to flip the short arm back to where it should be.

Upvote 0
If you're not concerned about keeping the corrosion/patina, you could soak it in vinegar for a day or perform some electrolysis on it. If you want to keep the "old" look, try some olive oil or penetrating oil.

Upvote 0
I would open it up, even if it separated at the hinge. I bet there is some ornate detail once this is done.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back