fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for information on the Bailey Military Institute in Greenwood, S.C. I know it existed around the first quarter of the 20th century but can'y find any info that tells me when it was started and how long it lasted. A friend has a Bailey button (no pun intended) with a W.C. Rowland/ Phila. backmark that dates between 1909 and at least 1935. He would like to know a little more about the school.
Thanks for any and all help.

If you google "Bailey Military Institute Greenwood, S.C." quite a few sites pop up.

Upvote 0
If you google "Bailey Military Institute Greenwood, S.C." quite a few sites pop up.

I looked through all four pages and couldn't find what I was looking for. I did find that Bailey was a Military prep school on order with high school. And, I found that Greenwood wasn't formed until 1897 but that doesn't tell me if the school existed before the town was incorporated and when it closed.
There is a link to a book in the S.C. library but I can't access it.

Bailey Military Institute, Greenwood, South Carolina : [catalog]. (Journal, magazine, 1900s) [WorldCat.org]

Upvote 0
Bailey Military Institute

The school's original home was in Williston, from 1891-98.
Moved to Edgefield in 1898.
Was in Greenwood from 1913-36.

The school's barracks burned in 1936.
The property was sold to the Self family as a hospital site.

Upvote 0
Bailey Military Institute

The school's original home was in Williston, from 1891-98.
Moved to Edgefield in 1898.
Was in Greenwood from 1913-36.

The school's barracks burned in 1936.
The property was sold to the Self family as a hospital site.

Thank you. Where did you find that information?

Upvote 0
Hey fyrffytr1,
Instead of searching the institute, I looked into the history of Greenwood and came across this info indirectly from the former program director of the museum.
Maybe your friend could contact the museum and include the button ? Sounds like they would enjoy it and have the perfect spot for it.

Here's the link to the article.

Donation rings true for The Museum | News | indexjournal.com

Upvote 0
Hey fyrffytr1,
Instead of searching the institute, I looked into the history of Greenwood and came across this info indirectly from the former program director of the museum.
Maybe your friend could contact the museum and include the button ? Sounds like they would enjoy it and have the perfect spot for it.

Here's the link to the article.

Donation rings true for The Museum | News | indexjournal.com

Thanks for the info. The guy who has it is a friend of a friend and from what little conversation I had with him, I doubt that he would be one to donate it. According to Albert's button book it has a relative value of 1 which is the lowest value given. I will get with my friend and see if the owner would be interested in donating it or selling it to me and I would donate it to the museum.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back