Backyard tips?

chiggermagnet

Sep 9, 2012
Southern Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Complete newbie here. Expect my MD to arrive this week. Gonna start in my backyard. My house is on land that was a farm. The woods have lots of stuff dumped there. Lots of metal and bottles. The back of the yard is the old farm road. The house and rest of the yard was farmland. Where would be the best place to start looking? Thanks for helping me get started!

ChiggerMagnet

Just open the back door, look around, and step outside and start. No-one knows how much trash you will or won't find before anything good is to be found. Just start. There is no magic to it. If you are aiming for relics and know where the farm house was located , start there. Look up online for privy digging (outhouse), where alot of items were thrown into. Around barns. Make charts, go back over where you detected at another angle. Getting to know your detector is most important. All the bings, hums, chimes or whatever sounds it makes. DIG EVERYTHING and learn your detector while doing so. You'll have fun and become addicted like the rest of us. There is no rush to get it all done in a day or two or three. Take your time and learn grasshopper. Good Luck and post pictures!

Thank You! Can't wait to get started! I'm sure I'll get plenty of hits in the backyard. It'll be good practice. I know the original farmhouse was across the street. I got an aerial photo many years ago. I know I need to practice digging before asking my neighbors permission. We'll see what happens..

CM

See.... there ya go..... ya just needed a little push grasshopper! LOL:laughing7: You'll have a blast and will find that the hours FLY on by before you can keep track!

Welcome to the addiction!

I am new to metal detecting also and I too started out in my back yard. It is an important first step in learning your machine and what it is telling you. I suggest you dig everything to gain practice at pin pointing, digging, and learning what different things sound and look like with your machine. I learned a LOT in those first few hours in my yard.

I am now venturing further out and continuing my learning. Best of luck to you! EK

Welcome to the forum...I love your user name:) Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Ezkill, I wouldn't suggest telling someone to dig every sound in the beginning, especially in their own yard, that's good for almost any other location :tongue3:

it would be nice to know where your pipes are first :laughing9:

Looks like my MD may come tomorrow! I'm also a geocacher. User name is from (itchy) geocaching searching experience. My last MD was a whites about 30 years ago. Found plenty of foil and pop tops. Gave it to my Dad when he retired to use at the beach. Glad I have more time and patience to learn the new machine. I'll let you know!

CM

Hello and welcome. I read a story a while back, about a guy that decided to md his own yard. He wound up finding a gold coin less than 100 feet from his front door. HH :hello:

Hi All,

Got my MD! Have been poking around in the backyard. First two times out I got hits but found nothing. Had to get on youtube to figure out what I was doing wrong. Now I understand how to pinpoint. Tonite I found stuff (just metal, no coins, but fun). The backyard will be great practice. Kinda cool I found a 6 foot length of heavy metal chain only a foot from the backyard shed, 6" deep. I've been walking over it for 12 years! Wonder what else I'll find?

CM

Kinda cool I found a 6 foot length of heavy metal chain only a foot from the backyard shed, 6" deep. I've been walking over it for 12 years! Wonder what else I'll find? CM

Go 2 more feet and you may find the guy that was shackled to those chains :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back