tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bug in the first 3 photos is new to me. I took a hanging plant down to water and then this rather buzzing bumblebee sounding guy comes along. It hovered into the center of the flower and went at it like it was getting nectar for a moment and then it landed on the flower and started folding the flower up. I don't know if that was intentional or it did it to hold on better. Anyway it doing that gave me some time to photograph it. It's a bit bigger that the average bumblebee and very similar in action. I've can't find anything that matches it online. The other photos are a green grasshopper, which all the others in the garden are the common brown & black ones. These no good Japanese Beatles that have been getting more numerous each year. A sleeping dragonfly in the vines and Praying Mantis

Attachments

• 20230912_135306.jpg
    20230912_135306.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230912_135312.jpg
    20230912_135312.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230912_135334.jpg
    20230912_135334.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 20230901_173459.jpg
    20230901_173459.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230824_083757.jpg
    20230824_083757.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
  • 20230819_070257.jpg
    20230819_070257.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230909_132502.jpg
    20230909_132502.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
This bug in the first 3 photos is new to me. I took a hanging plant down to water and then this rather buzzing bumblebee sounding guy comes along. It hovered into the center of the flower and went at it like it was getting nectar for a moment and then it landed on the flower and started folding the flower up. I don't know if that was intentional or it did it to hold on better. Anyway it doing that gave me some time to photograph it. It's a bit bigger that the average bumblebee and very similar in action. I've can't find anything that matches it online. The other photos are a green grasshopper, which all the others in the garden are the common brown & black ones. These no good Japanese Beatles that have been getting more numerous each year. A sleeping dragonfly in the vines and Praying Mantis
Great photos and I have the answer (I hope) to your 1st interesting insect.
I found lots of time if I looked at another species and asked for an ID
"A Beetle that looks like a Bumblebee"
(I tried Moths first, but soon realized the wings were different)
Answer:
The Bumblebee Scarab Beetle is not a bee and it does not sting though it looks like a bee in every way. Just like a bee, it has hair on its abdomen, on the pronotum, and even between the eyes.
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 6.23.27 AM.png

Answer:
The Bumblebee Scarab Beetle is not a bee and it does not sting though it looks like a bee in every way. Just like a bee, it has hair on its abdomen, on the pronotum, and even between the eyes.
View attachment 2104919
Thanks pep. I was lead to that site, but I just wasn't coming up with a combo of words to best describe what I saw. Bee-Beatles. This one I saw was a pretty powerful and clever flyer over most beetles.

Good job cyzak
I'm happy to find out they're beneficial to plant life as pollinators and their larva feed on decomposing roots and vegetation which promotes fertile soils.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Answer:
View attachment 2104919
View attachment 2104934
It’s a Bumble flower beetle.
Eeeek! You got it.
Well technically if we're both right and also not exactly spot on it seems.
Not sure if it has anything to do with maturity or sex
Here is the original post up of the beetle
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 7.45.55 AM.png

Here is a Bumblebee Flower Beetle
Notice the hard armour plating on the neck
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 7.50.39 AM.png

Here is the actual proper name which is Euphoria Inda
Notice the hairs on the head/neck portion of the beetle.
Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 7.51.44 AM.png

The wonderful world of insects is quite amazing when one falls down the rabbit hole. :laughing7:
Here is the link that showed the difference

It doesn't appear to be.
It seems to be an asset to the gardens.
Then some bugs like the other bugs for a meal, while still eating up the garden to a certain extent.
Balance seems to the key-finding that balance is hard when one doesn't thrive in the garden because of the environment or some other factor.
I just grow extra and share it seems with all, if they don't eat it I have extra to harvest,
Some years are better, some are not it seems and some are lean with certain berries and veggies,

It seems to be an asset to the gardens.
Then some bugs like the other bugs for a meal, while still eating up the garden to a certain extent.
Balance seems to the key-finding that balance is hard when one doesn't thrive in the garden because of the environment or some other factor.
I just grow extra and share it seems with all, if they don't eat it I have extra to harvest,
Some years are better, some are not it seems and some are lean with certain berries and veggies,
These no good Japanese beatles are doing more damage each year it seems. This one was crushed as all the others I find are, moments after this photo was taken.

Attachments

• 20230730_173042.jpg
    20230730_173042.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 11
These no good Japanese beatles are doing more damage each year it seems. This one was crushed as all the others I find are, moments after this photo was taken.
The last few years they have been really bad.
Seem to come around when the Raspberries start, and they're still going.
Last year it was 600-1200 collected everyday.
Chickens loved eating them.
This year probably at the peak of the cycle 350 now it would be 50 or less.
I got rid of all the traps this year.
20220725_131008.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back