fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this snap button the other day and while cleaning it I noticed a backmark on it of "United/Carr". "Carr" is clearly visible but it is hard to make out the "United". It is the first complete snap I have found and it came from the same site that I dug my Georgia state seal button. I found reference to a Charles D. Carr of Charleston, SC who supplied the confederacy during the war. His backmark is found on underwear buttons as well. But, the "United" part makes me wonder if it is another maker.
Can anybody shed some light on this subject?

Attachments

• button and snap 2.jpg
    button and snap 2.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 64
  • snap back.jpg
    snap back.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 99
This is my first reply on treasurenet, so I apologize if I make an error...your post may be related to United-Carr Fastener Corp. I found this link (btw, not my store, just the best photograph I could find): https://www.etsy.com/listing/582783442/vintage-set-snap-fastenrs-united-carr . I have a similar box/set here, but mine doesn't have a date or any additional information on it either. Judging from the other items that are with it though, I'd say it dates from the 1940's-1950's...but that is purely speculation. Thanks for posting your find!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply and welcome to the forums. I did a little more looking and found that most if not all "United/Carr" snaps are military and date to the WWII period which is interesting because the site this one came from ceased to exist in the early 1900s.

Upvote 0
Carr fasteners were around well before WW2. The "dot" fasteners can be dated to the early teens. Company was started in 1912. USF (United States Fastener Company) and Carr merged in 1929 to become United-Carr.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Carr fasteners were around well before WW2. The "dot" fasteners can be dated to the early teens. Company was started in 1912. USF (United States Fastener Company) and Carr merged in 1929 to become United-Carr.

Thanks for that information. Still, 1929 is about 20-30 years after this site ceased to exist.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back