Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the Civil War camp in Maryland today! We've been hunting about a 1/4 acre lot with a house built probably in the 1940s on it and I've been told the area surrounding the lot has been detected quite a bit over the years but from what I can see no one has ever been allowed to detect around this house. We have found over 70 bullets and a couple of buttons so far and haven't done the entire lot.

Yesterday I found 23 bullets including my first carved bullet (a Washington Arsenal star type), 2 Williams Type I Cleaner bullets, and 2 six point swaged bullets (first ones I've found). I also found my first War Nickel a 1943 P and an old pocket knife.

20140402_083824.jpg20140402_083953.jpg20140402_084039.jpg

If you remember the bullet with paper and powder attached from my last post , I talked to a local expert that has been detecting the Gettysburg area for over 40 years and he said he's never seen one come out of the ground like that. So I got it it's own little display box to help protect it.

20140324_182418.jpg

Upvote 8
I remember that bullet with paper. Unreal it was still together. Later Clyde

Congrats on the finds...!

Outstanding!

good luck on further treasure, so far so good for sure!!

I am still amazed at the lead with paper intact. That must have taken a lot of extra care to not lose what you had. You have a one of a kind relic that deserves a special display.

Very nice finds- congrats on finding a sweet spot of relics. :thumbsup:

That isn't a Washington Arsenal bullet, but rather a "swaged" bullet. The star is convex on the W.A. bullets, not impressed into the lead.

The bullet with the charge intact is really great! My mentor dug a couple like that which had the charge still intact, but that was back in the 70s.

You misunderstood, the swaged bullet isn't the carved bullet.

Here is a picture of the carved bullet base.
20140404_075307.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back