🔎 UNIDENTIFIED "Baby Sculpture" or "Creepy Head" Please help with any information!

Briangood1

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2024
20240812_094117.jpg

A friend's brother passed away and she asked me to help clean out his house to sell. Mostly junk and trash. As we were finishing she told me "please take that creepy head and throw it in the dumpster"
I do not know why but I fell in love.
The "creepy head" is a gift the brother received from an Au Pair that his company provided to him. All I could gather was the Au Pair was from Italy and said that it was hand carved and we couldn't figure out what area of Italy.

The head weighs about 50 lbs. It's pink marble. There are no signatures or markings that I could find. On the bottom you can see and feel the carving tool marks. It's beautiful. But the thing that I am amazed by is the face. It is as smooth as a designer piece of silk. When you look at it at first I saw a "baby with their mouth open as if waiting for a pacifier". Then, I looked again and I saw "an older man with a disappointed frown". To see the man look at the baby's top lip and make it a frown.

Someone please help me figure out where to start to figure out what and where this sculpture is from. I would love to return it to the rightful owners.

TIA Brian!

Attachments

• 20240812_094115.jpg
    20240812_094115.jpg
    767 KB · Views: 38
View attachment 2164172

A friend's brother passed away and she asked me to help clean out his house to sell. Mostly junk and trash. As we were finishing she told me "please take that creepy head and throw it in the dumpster"
I do not know why but I fell in love.
The "creepy head" is a gift the brother received from an Au Pair that his company provided to him. All I could gather was the Au Pair was from Italy and said that it was hand carved and we couldn't figure out what area of Italy.

The head weighs about 50 lbs. It's pink marble. There are no signatures or markings that I could find. On the bottom you can see and feel the carving tool marks. It's beautiful. But the thing that I am amazed by is the face. It is as smooth as a designer piece of silk. When you look at it at first I saw a "baby with their mouth open as if waiting for a pacifier". Then, I looked again and I saw "an older man with a disappointed frown". To see the man look at the baby's top lip and make it a frown.

Someone please help me figure out where to start to figure out what and where this sculpture is from. I would love to return it to the rightful owners.

TIA Brian!
"A friend's brother passed away and she asked me to help clean out his house to sell."

"I would love to return it to the rightful owners."

The first paragraph I fully understand.

It's the last part of the last paragraph.

I seem to not quite grasp that totally.

The way I see it is the owner died.

Or was this pink baby actually part of a heist?

This could be then called the Pink Baby caper.

Upvote 1
The "creepy head" is a gift the brother received from an Au Pair that his company provided to him.
I would love to return it to the rightful owners.
IANAL.

If it was a gift to the brother, call me crazy, but it would seem to me the brother IS/WAS the rightful owner.

The only other possibility I can think of ATM is the brother's heirs. If your friend is his heir, then she's the rightful owner, and has either discarded it or given it to you, making you the rightful owner.

Have you tried lensing it? Quite a bit pops up.

Upvote 1
IANAL.

If it was a gift to the brother, call me crazy, but it would seem to me the brother IS/WAS the rightful owner.

The only other possibility I can think of ATM is the brother's heirs. If your friend is his heir, then she's the rightful owner, and has either discarded it or given it to you, making you the rightful owner.

I totally missed the Au Pair part of the explanation from the OP.

Ok-I'm going down the road of this got a tad creepy.

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 8.24.23 AM.png

Upvote 0
I totally missed the Au Pair part of the explanation from the OP.

Ok-I'm going down the road of this got a tad creepy.

They're more like foreign exchange students (and some actually are).

Au Pair in America is the nation’s first legal au pair program, designated by the U.S. Government in 1986.

Upvote 1

I just clicked on the last reference and got a screen filled with a ??
Just the left part of the screen is a more than a tad too creepy for me.
Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 8.54.47 AM.png

Upvote -1
I just clicked on the last reference and got a screen filled with a ??
Works fine here. Graphic is a banner.

When my sister was in HS, she went on a cultural/student exchange trip to (at the time) West Germany, and stayed with a family for 4 weeks.

At the end of that time, she gave them a "Thank You" gift. I've done the same any time I've stayed with someone--it's just courtesy.

Sometimes creepiness is in the mind of the beholder. 🤔

Upvote 1
Works fine here. Graphic is a banner.

When my sister was in HS, she went on a cultural/student exchange trip to (at the time) West Germany, and stayed with a family for 4 weeks.

At the end of that time, she gave them a "Thank You" gift. I've done the same any time I've stayed with someone--it's just courtesy.

Sometimes creepiness is in the mind of the beholder. 🤔
There's nothing creepy about a gift for a thank you.

A baby head? That could be a tad creepy though.

The photo of the white dude holding his crotch with a little black girl laying across his chest-like what's up with that?

Upvote 0
There's nothing creepy about a gift for a thank you.
Ah, miscommunication. I took these 2 statements to be connected, that you meant the au pair arrangement was creepy.
I totally missed the Au Pair part of the explanation from the OP.​
Ok-I'm going down the road of this got a tad creepy.​

A baby head? That could be a tad creepy though.
Agreed. Lots of creepy if/when you lens the pic.
The photo of the white dude holding his crotch with a little black girl laying across his chest-like what's up with that?
Geez, maybe get your 🤓 prescription checked--the guy's hand is resting on his lap!

Big difference between.... No.... I'm not going to pander by posting an animated gif of a certain dead king of pop grabbing and gyrating (as creepy as I think that was... ) 😲

It may not be their best family pic, but I don't see anything nefarious. The white guy and the woman on the right both appear to be active army. He's wearing a ring--third finger, left hand.

Now that the miscommunication has been cleared up, can we climb outta this rabbit hole? 😉😁

Upvote 1
Hat block or wig holder?
I really doubt it. It weighs in at
IANAL.

I have tried lensing it to no avail.

Upvote 1
Congratulations! You're the proud new owner of a 50 lb. pink marble baby noggin! :thumbsup: :laughing7:

Please don't do anything creepy with it. 😁🤣
You're closer to the head than me.
Under the antiquities act 1.0-subsection.1.3, paragraph 3.A
Line 4.
It's a Bucket Lister for those who assume the title Bucket Lister.

I could use it for a gargoyle on the garden fence post.

Upvote 1
You're closer to the head than me.
Under the antiquities act 1.0-subsection.1.3, paragraph 3.A
Line 4.
It's a Bucket Lister for those who assume the title Bucket Lister.
:icon_scratch: I'm not following any of that.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back