Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 2012-05-11_20-14-28_204.jpg
    2012-05-11_20-14-28_204.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 300
Search google images for railroad crock jug and a few of them show up. A couple are marked "Deodorizer The Pullman Company" I'm guessing it contained cleaner for the dining cars maybe?

Upvote 0
Looks kinda touristy to me but it commands a good price. This one had a $75 reserve. People love these crocks. I hadnt realized this was so popular. Nice find apparently. I dont know what they were made for. B&O Railroad Jug (04/05/2011)

Upvote 0
As with many things nowadays these items have been faked recently and there are some really good looking fakes out there. Unfortunately,the only sure way to determine if the advertising label is original and fired under the glaze is to lightly scrape the surface of the label with the edge of a knife or something sharp to see if the label will scrape off. Original glazed stoneware will not be damaged. I hope it's the real deal. These jugs held deodorizer (cleaning agent) or coal oil for the most part, even though one usually associates them with whiskey at first glance.

Upvote 0
Search google images for railroad crock jug and a few of them show up. A couple are marked "Deodorizer The Pullman Company" I'm guessing it contained cleaner for the dining cars maybe?

Deodorizer for the "BO" Rairlroad? That's awesome. :-)

Upvote 0
As with many things nowadays these items have been faked recently and there are some really good looking fakes out there. Unfortunately,the only sure way to determine if the advertising label is original and fired under the glaze is to lightly scrape the surface of the label with the edge of a knife or something sharp to see if the label will scrape off. Original glazed stoneware will not be damaged. I hope it's the real deal. These jugs held deodorizer (cleaning agent) or coal oil for the most part, even though one usually associates them with whiskey at first glance.

diggummup,

I took your advice and scraped the label with a knife and the label did not come off. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back