Axe Patina?

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
The pictured axe is from my late grandfathers collection, I have no idea where it was found or from what era it is from. Oddly enough, when I first saw it, it appeared to have been dipped in plaster of paris. I tried to free a "flake" with my fingernail but nothing would pop off. I dipped it in water and the whiteness turned to dark grey and while it was wet, it resemble a normal "rock". As you can see in one of the photos, when the axe contacts paper, a chalk like deposit is left. I'm curious if this is in fact some type of patina. I'm also curious about the type of rock it is made from. As you can see, it's not a very smooth axe. It looks like a porous rock at first glance but it's heavy for its size.

Many Thanks;

Jamie

Attachments

• DSCF1174.JPG
    DSCF1174.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 546
  • DSCF1175.JPG
    DSCF1175.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 520
  • DSCF1176.JPG
    DSCF1176.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCF1172.JPG
    DSCF1172.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
1320 - That axe appears to be made out of Limestone, a highly unusual material for an axe. I've never seen one like that and can offer nothing as far as location goes. Generally grooved axes are middle to late Archaic in time frame. That piece really does appear to be a weather worn limestone axe but I should at least note that Limestone is commonly found in odd and unusual shapes and I would rule out a geofact.

I often see rocks made of this same sedimentary material especially around rivers or creeks. I feel that it isn't a patina but the entire stone is made of it. Why it was shaped into a axe form I have no idea, it certainly isn't suitable material to be used for an axe. If it is struck hard enough it will break easily.

That is a legit axe that has weathered, chemically and physically, and "exfoliated" into that condition.

chuck

Limestone was my guess as well, just never seen limestone weather like that. Based on the weight and feel of the axe, I too agree that it would not take much of a blow. There is a significant fracture on the "butt" end of the axe. I didn't notice this with the naked eye but in the photos I think I see abrasion or grinding marks (scratches?) in the groove? Many thanks for the quick replies. I have a few other interesting items from my grandfathers collection that I'd like to get opinions on, you guys are awesome.

I have a friend that found a large blade made out of the same type looking material. It appeared to be weathered limestone.

Here is a piece of the same stuff that I found at a site. I do not know if it is anything or not. But it is shaped like a point with a hole in it. Which makes me believe it might have been a pendant or something. I left the pic big on purpose. What do you guys think.

Attachments

• 100_0913.jpg
    100_0913.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 361
1320-Your axe is made of the same material. I believe everyone is right about the material being limestone. When I found my piece I first thought it was some type of pottery or clay. The hole in it along with the shape of a point made me bring it home. I will try to get a better picture of it on here later. But there is not much more to see. The hole has no drill marks around it. However, I find it weird that the hole is centered, and the piece in the shape of a arrowhwead. And having the consistency of chalk like yours almost makes them useless as a tool. Maybe they are salesman samples. Thanks Keith.

LMAO Keith...."salesman samples" Now that's a good one! It's an interesting piece no doubt. Would love to see additional photos, thank you.

I'm in the deep south and in my immediate area limestone does not look like that at all...but I'm no geologist and I'm sure that are lots of varieties. Here my first thought would be that it is kaolin which is a hard white clay that appears on the fall line in the south and is open pit mined. Although kaolin is typically deep in the earth I've seen pieces of it in the streams that have that identical surface look and, for whatever reason, have taken on a certain hardness that you wouldn't expect from clay. Anyhow, likely this has zip to do with your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back