Axe I.D.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at the Spike Tomahawk banner thread and noticed that the axe-head was very similar to one I found. I found it very close to the spot where gold was discovered on the American River near Coloma Ca. I thought it was cool right away because it didn't really look like a tool to me it definately looked like it was for causing some damage. So how likely is it that some fellow who was " Chasing the Elepahant" grabbed his dads or granddads trade axe and brought it out west with him? It is less than a pound, is definately hand forged it does has a rectangular eye and I can't really tell if it is tapered.I haven't tried to clean it in anyway it just sits with the other tools and axeheads that I have found out in the Goldfields. Any guesses or help with I.D. is very much appreciated....if it is just some locally made axe from the rush thats cool with me too, as either way it was once wielded by some brave argonaut and I am proud to have held it after him and like to wonder why he dropped it.:treasurechest:

Attachments

• axe 002.JPG
    axe 002.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 128
  • axe 004.JPG
    axe 004.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 125
  • axe 006.JPG
    axe 006.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
Looks like a tomahawk to me. Nice find! Here is a pipe tomahawk I found last year. These are hard to come by as well as yours. Make sure you clean it up and wax it to prevent further rusting.

Attachments

• IMG_20130715_082427.JPG
    IMG_20130715_082427.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 111

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back