• image-2908591728.jpg
    image-2908591728.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 231
  • image-1947402979.jpg
    image-1947402979.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 270
Tnmountains said:
Any makers marks?

There is something engraved since you asked and I looked hard! I will get a pencil and paper and try to see what it says! This is a pic of what I see:

Attachments

• image-489980874.jpg
    image-489980874.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 203
Upvote 0
firehorse12 said:
There is something engraved since you asked and I looked hard! I will get a pencil and paper and try to see what it says! This is a pic of what I see:

Maybe True Value $2 :) I can't make it out!

Attachments

• image-3968462087.jpg
    image-3968462087.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 203
  • image-802723556.jpg
    image-802723556.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
Could be wrong but that looks mold cast. There appears to be a seam on the upper portion of the blade in the last photo -- which would make it rather modern. The other give-away is whether the edge is cast as one piece with the rest of the hatchet. In old hatchets, they used mild steel for the bulk of it and added a hardened edge for sharpening. Can't see well enough in the photos, but does it look like the cutting edge is added or the same as the rest of the axe?

Upvote 0
Archeodeb said:
Could be wrong but that looks mold cast. There appears to be a seam on the upper portion of the blade in the last photo -- which would make it rather modern. The other give-away is whether the edge is cast as one piece with the rest of the hatchet. In old hatchets, they used mild steel for the bulk of it and added a hardened edge for sharpening. Can't see well enough in the photos, but does it look like the cutting edge is added or the same as the rest of the axe?

I think it is all one piece - but I like that lil' hatchet - pretty cool! Don't guess I'll be selling it and running away to Ireland. Maybe my next find :) thanks for looking!!

Upvote 0
Looks to be late 19th or early 20th century. Plus a-lot of these axes the handles get replaced so you can have a somewhat modern handle with a 18th or 19th century axe-head on it. I'd be careful with this one and get it looked @ more closely by an expert. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
There were many variations of these Hatchets, points that stand out on yours is the octagon poll, (I can't see if the face is plain or checkered, it appears to be straight rather than tapered, the "eye" is a "plain-eye" and it has a straight bit. It is consistent with Norwegian, Rigging Hatchets and Universal 'Pocket, Shingling Hatchets' of the "Ohio King" variety. As far as age is concerned, unless you can find some markings or other provenance, it could be fairly recent, or up to 100 years old. Nice old collectible! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
I'd call it a shingle hatchet. The blade is for trimming wood shingles to size, and the hammer side is for driving the nails. The notch on the bottom of the blade is for pulling nails. They can date back a hundred years or more, I had one from my grandfather, via my father, that I actually used to put cedar shingles on a cabin back in the 60's, but it's long gone now.

Upvote 0
I actually have the exact same style here & I still use it daily. Same head, hammer & nail puller. But this one is a Stanley HI22 & says wear safety goggles. It's early 20th century.

Upvote 0
It reads "True temper Flint edge". Kelly axe made a true temper line but was marked "Kelly Works" below true temper.
Kelly sold to "American fork and hoe" witch changed its name to "true temper" in 1949 and lasted till 1982.
So your hatchet would be from between 1949-1982.

e-WV | Kelly Axe and Tool Company$(KGrHqJ,!qoFCS2KvcLFBQoUmuNzNg~~60_57.JPG This one sold for 12$ on ebay.

Upvote 0
It reads "True temper Flint edge". Kelly axe made a true temper line but was marked "Kelly Works" below true temper.
Kelly sold to "American fork and hoe" witch changed its name to "true temper" in 1949 and lasted till 1982.
So your hatchet would be from between 1949-1982.

e-WV | Kelly Axe and Tool CompanyView attachment 728972 This one sold for 12$ on ebay.

Guess I have to ask, how does this hatchet compare to the one posted? :dontknow:

Attachments

• Axe comparison.JPG
    Axe comparison.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0
Guess I have to ask, how does this hatchet compare to the one posted? :dontknow:

Yes, same company and likely the same use (I agree with shingle hatchet -- I have one nearly like it as well) but this is a different model/style. On the shiny new one -- I wonder what the narrow "waist" or whatever that mid-part is called technically, is for. To save weight? That shape doesn't seem to make sense. (At least not to me.) Unless it was meant as a dual purpose tool? Kind of a hewing hatchet and shingling hatchet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it is a True Temper brand roofing hatchet.

FWIW, this could also have been used as a lath hammer for nailing and cutting the wood lath for plaster walls, but most likely, it is a roofing hatchet.

Upvote 0
No, I mean YES, I mean... I can't make up my mind :lightbulb: I CAN"T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD :BangHead:
..... I really do have the exact same one here. They must have used the same mold for the different companies.
View attachment 729551

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back