65.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 912 a .jpg
    912 a .jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 912 b.jpg
    912 b.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 0
nice finds! I always wonder about the maker of whatever I'm holding. wouldn't it be nice to know the history behind the pieces?

Very nice awl's,that is a great point too it would really have been really nice if that small part of the base had not been broken. That flat bone piece is interesting it does make you wonder what it was used you can clearly been worked and used.

nice finds! I always wonder about the maker of whatever I'm holding. wouldn't it be nice to know the history behind the pieces?

Thank you and yes that is one of the things I spend a lot of time thinking about. I think it's absolutely fascinating. And when you hold some of them you can almost feel a presence in them. I feel fairly certain that some of these were made by the same maker. You can feel it.

yup your right
i got a few bone pcs like that one
digger and i always thought they could have been a nock (or knock) for a bow end
but how will we ever know?
the point has notches placed very low, like an avonlea point
only problem i have is that the notches are thinner and deeper than an average avonlea

Last edited:
I have a question about the age of the artifacts you guys find over there.IM not sure what tribe. If they are Mandan they arrived in that area no earlier than the 1500's according to what I have read. Is that correct?

I have a question about the age of the artifacts you guys find over there.IM not sure what tribe. If they are Mandan they arrived in that area no earlier than the 1500's according to what I have read. Is that correct?
I've read in some oldnotes that the site we hunt was already abandoned @1730 - 1740 or left unoccupied - they may have planned to return in a generation or two.

Here's some info about Scattered Village which a lot ot the city of Mandamus is built over. Same tribe and occupied about the same time frame.

I think the site we hunt was inhabited at different times for many 100's of years, perhaps 1000's. And I say this we find to many Pelican Lake and earlier points for them to be there by chance. Anyway you look at it, it a very special site. We're very fortunate that Digger likes us and is as gracious as he is. We keep everything we find, he just likes to see it and the it's ours. Man are we lucky.

Attachments

• rps20120908_154444_964.jpg
    rps20120908_154444_964.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 75
That's great..thank you. Very interesting history there. I'm glad I read up on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back