Auction whatzit...weathervane??

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Bought this last night at a local auction....thought it was interesting.
Shes about 30" tall and made of five pieces of flat steel plus a verticle steel rod and hardware to set onto a pin or shaft. PICT0001.JPGPICT0002.JPG
This doesnt look to be a modern piece and doesnt appear to be homemade.Ive had no luck finding any info so far.I thought maybe a weather vane ?? ....lawn ornament....sign topper??
If anyone could help, I would appreciate it.
...Heres a couple two dollar items from the auction...

PICT0003.JPG

There was one of these weathervanes on eBay some time ago. Unfortunately, the listing is no longer in the "Completed Items" archives. However, I was able to find a thumbnail of it via Google image search. It's pretty fuzzy, but you can see that is obviously very similar, if not identical. Unless the one you bought is the same one that was formerly on eBay, I suspect that this may be a modern (20th century) piece produced as a decorator item.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 285
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies..
Thats definitely the gal,PBK...I kinda figured..old,but not too old...still a unique piece to add to my garage museum.

Upvote 0
The one item looks like a surface protector. Like to set hot pans on a dinner table.

AFS: American Folklore Society?
MSU: Michigan State University?

Some thoughts.

Tony

Upvote 0
downindixie said:
I collect trivets and your is nice. You should research the lettering.Maybe 1957 (1857) MSU (college)
Mississippi State University..
American Foundry Society.
MSU has or had a Foundry\Engineering program affiliated with the AFS.Probably a student project??
Kinda cool regardless...I collect.....everything.

Upvote 0
jopher said:
downindixie said:
I collect trivets and your is nice. You should research the lettering.Maybe 1957 (1857) MSU (college)
MSU has or had a Foundry\Engineering program affiliated with the AFS.Probably a student project??

And Michigan State University is affiliated with the American Folklore Society and since you are in Michigan?

Upvote 0
Angelo said:
jopher said:
downindixie said:

And Michigan State University is affiliated with the American Folklore Society and since you are in Michigan?
???HMMMM??.....May never know for sure, Tony.

Upvote 0
warsawdaddy said:
Come on Angelo.No one from Mich St would know what a trivet is,maybe Notre Dame-oh,oh,I'm in trouble here,right?

I googled SAINT TRIVET......Nothing! So, Notre Dame is out of the question.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back