AT PRO VS X TERRA 705

Euqinu

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Detector(s) used
Sov. GT, Compadre
I'm new so my apologies if this has already been discussed. I'm looking for a good all around detector but mainly for use at the beach. I want something that will be good in dry/wet sand mainly, getting into the surf would be a plus. I also have a lot of farm land around and want a detector that would be good there and in tot lots as well. Researching a bit I've found these two detectors to be at the top end of my budget but seem like they could handle my needs. I'd like to know which is preferable and any negative issues that these detectors have (I know nothing is perfect, unfortunately ::) ). Or if I should look into another brand or model.

thanks

Well I think the king of the beach and dang good on land too is the Sov GT. But like the 705 it isn't water proof. So far the AT PRO seems to be the one that will handle both and you have that silly screen to lie to ya. Best is if it beeps, dig. :thumbsup:

Besides if you are thinking of going in the surf, you'd better have it waterproofed. You will drop it or a rouge wave will hit you.

My dad has a Sov GT. I got to use it a bit when he visited last week. It's an awesome machine, unfortunately just a bit out of my price range right now. I've been leaning towards the AT PRO but didn't know if anyone has had any real horror stories with it yet. As far as going into the surf I'll definitely look into waterproofing. For now though I doubt I would go in deep enough to get rolled by the waves :laughing7:.

thanks for the input! :notworthy:

I have the X-Terra 705 and it works very well . It does what it says it will do .
But I would have to say that if you are going to be at the Beach and in the water some then the AT Pro would be the one to go with..
The Coils are water proof on the XT 705 but the rest is not . And one good dunk with a wave and it would be done with.

So that would make the choice for me anyway.

I have not used a AT Pro but a couple guys here use them and are liking them just fine . So I do not think you would go wrong by getting one.
You just have to balance out what you are going to do the most . If I was going to be on land most of the time and just do the beach above the water I would use the X-Terra 705 , if I was going to be in the water more times than not then I would use the AT Pro as it is a good machine and can get wet and you will not have to worry about that.

Good to know. I think I'll be spending the majority of my time down at the beach so it looks like the AT PRO is gonna be the machine for me. unless i can get a really good deal on a Sov GT...

thanks

Euqinu said:
Good to know. I think I'll be spending the majority of my time down at the beach so it looks like the AT PRO is gonna be the machine for me. unless i can get a really good deal on a Sov GT...

thanks

Remember the Sov GT is not waterproof but you can wade a bit with it as long as you do not lift the coil above the units control box. A good Sov GT will be about the same as the AT pro new. To me since the Xterra 705 should be a good candidate for rigging up fairly waterproof since the whole control housing just slides out of the handle. Just an idea, Tim

Buy a used surf-master amphibious 2 land or sea it's light two button on it. It's water proof. I love mine it goes some what deep on small targets the best discrimination of the lower end detectors you can find them on eBay for a round two to three hundred dollars. they were like five or six hundred bran new if not more,nice sounding detector when it beep fast or slow sweep speed.If it had colored light for dept it would be the bomb but after a why all you can tell the targets dept,I use mine and I go for hour and hours with it. I found over a hundred and thirty pound of crusher copper with mine last year working the gravel roads up here and it take at lest twenty two thirty pieces to make a pound depends on the piece of copper and at 3.40 a pound last year that detector made me some ka ching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back