Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4F2E21ED-01AA-4232-AB9C-5A78D5327E1B.jpeg

Astronomical Sphere. Found recently in Kona, Hawaii. Appears to be copper. Getting it examined and hoping it is authentic.

Upvote 13
Astronomical Sphere. Found recently in Kona, Hawaii. Appears to be copper. Getting it examined and hoping it is authentic.

Never seen one. How is it used, and for what?

Neat. It’s an “armillary sphere”, also known as an “astrolabe”. Essentially it’s a theoretical model of the heavens, used since ancient times to assist in observations of the stars and perform calendrical calculations. The rings represent lines of celestial latitude and longitude with other aspects such as the ecliptic. Depending on age and culture they either have Earth at the centre (Ptolemaic) or are centred on the Sun (Copernican).

‘Working’ devices would be much larger and a small one like that would just have decorative use as a charm, pendant or whatever. In modern times, they’ve become popular with ‘new-agers’ and those with an interest in astrology (as opposed to astronomy) or things mystical, usually with addition of horoscope star signs and other symbols. You can buy them in various metals from the kinds of shops that sell joss-sticks, tarot cards, runestones and healing crystals.

When you say you hope it’s “authentic”, I’m not sure what that means. If you’re wondering whether it might be “ancient”, I’m perfectly certain it isn’t and, as I said, at that size it wouldn’t be functional for astronomical purposes. I would think probably made in the last 50 years or so.

Last edited:
Neat. It’s a “armillary sphere”, also known as an “astrolabe”. Essentially it’s a theoretical model of the heavens, used since ancient times to assist in observations of the stars and perform calendrical calculations. The rings represent lines of celestial latitude and longitude with other aspects such as the ecliptic. Depending on age and culture they either have Earth at the centre (Ptolemaic) or are centred on the Sun (Copernican).

‘Working’ devices would be much larger and a small one like that would just have decorative use as a charm, pendant or whatever. In modern times, they’ve become popular with ‘new-agers’ and those with an interest in astrology (as opposed to astronomy) or things mystical, usually with addition of horoscope star signs and other symbols. You can buy them in various metals from the kinds of shops that sell joss-sticks, tarot cards, runestones and healing crystals.

When you say you hope it’s “authentic”, I’m not sure what that means. If you’re wondering whether it might be “ancient”, I’m perfectly certain it isn’t and, as I said, at that size it wouldn’t be functional for astronomical purposes. I would think probably made in the last 50 years or so.
Wow , great information. Very helpful. When I first found it in the sand it was folded up and I thought I’d found four rings within each other. I was ecstatic and then it opened up. I didn’t have a clue what it was. It was found in an area in Hawaii that had just been dug up and was deep sand. I thought maybe it could be old from the depth it was uncovered. Thanks for the information. Happy hunting!

The differences in patina on the various pieces makes me think it was lost very recently and likely not anything old. But nice dig.

Last edited:

It's an armillary sphere (also known as a spherical astrolabe), but the point is that it's a simplified and stylised miniature version, that doesn't have any functionality. The one you pictured is a model of that type too, but even more stylised (and modern) in "new ager" charm territory.

It's an armillary sphere (also known as a spherical astrolabe), but the point is that it's a simplified and stylised miniature version, that doesn't have any functionality. The one you pictured is a model of that type too, but even more stylised (and modern) in "new ager" charm territory.

Thanks for that clarification. Always happy to learn something new. Nice find. I'd sure be intrigued.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back