Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ey y'all.
I found this in the grass by a house I was detecting at. It looks old but I was really shallow. It is from the American society of magazine photographers. Any info on age or anything? Thanks

image-3931629566.jpg

image-252224008.jpg

image-654333859.jpg

What does it exactly say on the medal?

Neat find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
It says American society of magazine photographers around and ASMP in the center

Upvote 0
Oh, Okay because your title of ASPM threw me . .well, it was better than PMS! :laughing7:

Breezie

Upvote 0
According to the history, your token could have been made between 1944 and 1992. Here's some history via wikipedia:

In the fall of 1944, some two dozen New York photographers formed the Society of Magazine Photographers or SMP. Within a few months, though, they had to change the name to American Society of Magazine Photographers because the acronym SMP was already being used by another organization. (In 1992, recognizing that it had grown far beyond the borders of the magazine industry, the Society adopted its current name.) Their goal was to address their common problems: lack of credit lines, unauthorized reproduction of images, and uncredited copying of photographs by illustrators and artists. They also hoped to raise their rates of pay.[SUP][1][/SUP]

In the early years, a majority within the Society held the opinion that ASMP should be a labor union and bargain collectively for wages and working conditions.[SUP][1][/SUP] However, this was far from unanimous. A substantial minority wanted nothing to do with unions and saw ASMP as a professional guild along the lines of the American Bar Association or American Medical Association. During the 1950s, the issue was the cause of frequent schisms and mass resignations.[SUP][2][/SUP] The issue was laid to rest by a 1976 ruling of the National Labor Relations Board, which determined that ASMP was a group of independent contractors and, thus, ineligible to be a union.
Thereafter, ASMP focused its efforts on areas that are traditional activities of professional associations: networking, advocacy and business practices.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back