Asking for help identifying this item shown below marked Brohard Co.

chaberr

Aug 2, 2024
Saw this today at a yardsale. I didnā€™t buy it but still was curious what it was. Even owner didnā€™t know. It is stamped Brohard Co. and a patent number. It has a curved metal mesh with 2 little rollers that run along mesh. Some sort of screening device or sifter? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9913.jpeg
    IMG_9913.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9910.jpeg
    IMG_9910.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Upvote 3
The only thing I can find about Brohard Co. is that they were in Philadelphia, and made hardware.

Maybe a flour sifter for making bread in large scale ?

There's one on ebay that calls it a flour sifter.
Large flour sifters are large, round.... sifters, without rollers.

I'm leaning more toward roller sieve. For fruits etc.

It's this one, described as a "Sifter, strainer and masher":

Brohard.jpg

"Be it known that I, THOMAS FRANCIS DEVLIN, a citizen of the United States, residing in the city and county of Philadelphia, State of Pennsylvania, have invented a new and useful Sifter, Strainer, and Masher, of which the following is a specification.
The invention consists of a beater, presser, or the like, having the novel features of construction hereinafter described and claimed."

The patent makes no reference to any specific materials to be procesed and is presumably meant to be multifunctional, but was filed in the category of "Foodstuffs".

It's this one, described as a "Sifter, strainer and masher":

View attachment 2161937
"Be it known that I, THOMAS FRANCIS DEVLIN, a citizen of the United States, residing in the city and county of Philadelphia, State of Pennsylvania, have invented a new and useful Sifter, Strainer, and Masher, of which the following is a specification.
The invention consists of a beater, presser, or the like, having the novel features of construction hereinafter described and claimed."

The patent makes no reference to any specific materials to be procesed and is presumably meant to be multifunctional, but was filed in the category of "Foodstuffs".
That is exactly it! Awesome! Thanks! It was gonna bother me till I found out. lol. Glad I came here to ask.

Thanks everyone for your help on this. That itā€™s from Philadelphia makes sense, as I found it here in cape may, NJ which is about an hour from Philadelphia and very much a popular vacation spot for Philadelphians.

Saw this today at a yardsale. I didnā€™t buy it but still was curious what it was. Even owner didnā€™t know. It is stamped Brohard Co. and a patent number. It has a curved metal mesh with 2 little rollers that run along mesh. Some sort of screening device or sifter? Thanks in advance.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back