artifact?rock?

deblum01

Jan 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this in a iowa field rockpile last fall,lots of detail like it was engraved with something,any body ever seen anything similier to this ? 20160718_210050.jpg20160719_084432.jpg20160922_203600.jpg20160922_203547.jpg

I agree with GopherDaGold but BackwoodsBob will be on soon to tell you that it is a treasure map carved by Jesuit Priest. Very Cool Rock, in my opinion. I would have brought it home too.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum sir!

Looks like a natural rock to me. I don't see where it was "worked". HOWEVER, you just wait, we have some experts on the forum that WILL see something that my untrained eye does not see.

Best of luck to you!

Upvote 0
I have seen similar rocks. They happen on marsh flats or seasonal stream flows. The underlying silt/mud dries out and cracks and then another layer is deposited. In geologic time it forms rock. When it weathers if the newer rock is harder the softer erodes away and what is left is what had filled the cracks in the mud. As your piece looks to be sandstone I think that is the case.

There are also formations called "Desert Roses" that look like a pile of flower petals - they weather to look similar - but those are gypsum or baryte and are crystals.

Upvote 0
I agree with GopherDaGold but BackwoodsBob will be on soon to tell you that it is a treasure map carved by Jesuit Priest. Very Cool Rock, in my opinion. I would have brought it home too.

LOL, I love it, you beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing.

Upvote 0
Charlie is right on with the description .

Upvote 0

You had me laughing so hard I fell off my bed. That guy is a nutcase who sees the most amazing BS in everything.

Upvote 0
Oh I guess I am missing something with Backwoods Bob or not ... Cool find none the less !!

Upvote 0
BackwoodsBob is our resident expert on anything Jesuit. In MY opinion, he really does seem to know a lot - certainly more than I do!! But there are just TOO MANY things that get posted on Tnet that he'll say are Jesuit-made. Either the landscape was overrun by Jesuits or they had nothing better to do than make millions of rock carvings to leave out in the middle of nowhere. Just my opinion. Bob seems like a likable guy, he seems pretty knowledgeable, but just a little too much sometimes. And I mean this with the utmost of respect! :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back