Artifact or geofact??

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today while pulling weeds in a customers garden and thought it looked a lot like a drill. The base looks to be broken. Both sides are sharp and evenly tapered. And the top does go into a point. Could it be another artifact two days in a row or is it just a geofact?? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• image-1551661136.jpg
    image-1551661136.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3589824694.jpg
    image-3589824694.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1012256065.jpg
    image-1012256065.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 123
  • image-123773187.jpg
    image-123773187.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0
possible drill...or knife....its beat to hell though so its hard to tell.

i have one in the similiar shape that was a knife that was worked down into a possible drill

Last edited:
Looks like maybe a crude Rhyolite knife. I actually have one similar to yours I found on part of our property I call the Savannah River camp. All points found in that area are Savannah Rivers. I have a pic somewhere if you want to see it. I would have brought it home.

Neat artifact.. it almost looks like it was a notched point at one time..many resharpenings ago.

Looks like maybe a crude Rhyolite knife. I actually have one similar to yours I found on part of our property I call the Savannah River camp. All points found in that area are Savannah Rivers. I have a pic somewhere if you want to see it. I would have brought it home.

Sure if you have a picture to compare. Thanks!

I have a similar piece from North Carolina.
This one is sort of flat on the back and has a dome shape cross section. I've always typed it a Guilford round base.

ForumRunner_20130925_090545.png

I would like to know why you think it may be a geofact or an artifact. Enquiring minds want to know boom.

I would like to know why you think it may be a geofact or an artifact. Enquiring minds want to know boom.

It was a weird spot that I found it. In a newer subdivision but it all was farm land before they started building. That was my only doubt about it being a true artifact. When it's wet you can see work marks in it, but when it dries they seem to disappear.

Last edited:
Anything for scale?

Looks like the closest match to one of these I’ve seen. The one I am holding is missing the tapered point yours has. And I was apparently holding mine upside down 8-). Was told it was a Guilford Round base.

I would go back to the customer for a follow-up :icon_thumleft:

IMG_20130509_244808_706.jpg

I think the poster has an Adena or a turkey tail that was resharpened to death. Could be a beaver tail, I forgot to look at the state this was found in. Nice Artifact!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back