Army Knife?

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Found this a few inches down at a scout camp that was founded 1948, and is still in use.
Knife 7" long, reminds me of a butter knife. The top of the blade is flat, the bottom is almost sharp. The blade is stainless, not sure what the handle is, maybe white metal. It is kinda heavy.
One side of the handle says U.S. The other side says Stainless PAC-CBT?? (hard to read) Under that is PROV. ( Providence R.I.??)

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,180
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • knife3.jpg
    knife3.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,935
  • knife4.jpg
    knife4.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,930
The Providence mark is the mark of a knifemaker/military contractor: Hammer Brand or Imperial, depending on the era of knife--you should be able to take this info and be more specific in its identification if you choose to do so--
WARSHARD

Upvote 0
It looks similar to the knife in my camping mess kit.
Mine says, "LR&C 1945" on one side and "US" on the other side.
I don't even remember where I got mine....

record1.jpg

Best,
Scott​

Upvote 0
For Mick56 and AU24K:
For detailed info on the time-period of your US Army messkit knives, and their manufacturers, go here and sroll down to near the end of the .pdf document. http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/messkits/Field_Mess_Gear(upd_Jul09).pdf

The messkit knife you've got is a Regulation-of-1934 version. But due to the large quanity of "leftover" World War One messkits, very few of the 1934-version model were actually produced until 1941.

For Mick: I did not find a PAC listed as a manufacturer of your Regulation-of-1934 stainless steel bladed, aluminum-handled knife ...but a BAC (Buckeye Aluminum Co.) is listed.

For AU24K: Are you sure your knife's marking says "LR&C"? The only similar-named supplier listed for it is "LF&C" ...meaning the Landers, Frary, & Clark Co.

Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
For AU24K: Are you sure your knife's marking says "LR&C"? The only similar-named supplier listed for it is "LF&C" ...meaning the Landers, Frary, & Clark Co.

You are correct. My eyes are getting pretty bad, I guess...

Best,
Scott

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back