Arkansas musketoons?

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I found these near a creek crossing along the military road area in southeast kansas on a recon hunt. After some research I believe that these are maybe arkansas musketoon minies? Can anyone confirm this? I have read from some sources that, due to the area that I found these, that the ammo can be attributed to the first kansas colored infantry? I have been able to confirm that that unit fought a few miles east of this area in the battle of Sherwood Mo in 1863. Can anyone help me out with any of this info? I am not a dedicated relic hunter or CW history nut, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have dug plenty of .69 three ringers and these are .69 caliber. The cavity is significantly larger though.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2012CWcamp 1.jpg
    2012CWcamp 1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 2012CWcamp 2.jpg
    2012CWcamp 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyhoo....

Yeah, they look like it, but you're right about the base thickness. But I have seen quite a few with the base formed imperfectly, or off center, so that may not mean much.

What do they measure?

Last edited:
image-932520575.jpg

Long 2.4cm
And wide 1.2cm

image-2364479494.jpg

Like this long 1.2cm
And wide 1.2cm

I would say that they are Musketoon bullet's. I have both versions I am told, Jenkin's ferry Musketoons and .69 Musketoon bullets. I for the life of me cant tell the difference in the two. I posted a picture a few years ago of some and were told they were .69 Musketoon bullets. Then when I told where they were found it was then decided that they were J.F. musketoons. Great find and not real common and associated with the colored troops...d2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back