Arizona Trip

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa and I spent the last month in Arizona rockhounding and looking for gold mostly. Apparently we don't make good prospectors! But we found cool stuff anyways. I'm not gonna rewrite a bunch of stuff so If you wanna get a little bit of the story and if you like rocks like me! Take a look at the Rock/Gem forum and its title "Arizona Trip Agate Nodules"

Anywho! I did not find much with my detector except a TON of trash! I actually watched some videos about hunting gold nuggets with the AT Pro so I was convinced I didn't need a gold detector. (I was gonna buy the AT Gold before I left) Needless to say I was way wrong. I don't recommend using the AT Pro for gold, don't waste your time. Yeah you can find nuggets with it, but if your gonna be serious about it get something made to find those tiny gold nuggets that the AT Pro will miss.

Well heres what I found, I spent most of my time rockhounding so I didn't treasure hunt much.

This is some junk pieces of glass bottles and a pile of mostly fired lead, a piece of an old train I think, annnd door handle to.. a camper maybe?
SAM_0691.JPG

Heres an overview of some of the "slightly" better stuff. Cool crate hammer (I think) a weird dove, strange buckle? a the tip to some old miner's pick! All I could think of when I got that was I wonder what kind of choice words came out of that old timer's mouth when that broke off, lol. umm, really old broken marble, bunch of .22 lead someone fired into the ground in one spot.. for some reason. and a timex! Still working. Oh and a like, mining track spike. I also found a cool chisel that looked home-made but I seem to have lost it!
SAM_0692.JPG

Heres the hammer, very nice desert find I thought.
SAM_0693.JPGSAM_0694.JPGSAM_0695.JPG

Here is that strange buckle thing, I really don't know what it is. I found that at the ghost town of Stanton, in between Rich Hill and Weaver Mountain.
SAM_0696.JPG

This little thing, I have no idea what the heck it is. No markings and I don't know what its made out of but its heavy for its size. Some type of.. metal. Found that by Stanton also.
SAM_0646.JPGSAM_0649.JPGSAM_0650.JPG

And this little dove I found in a wash about 2 miles away from the nearest town of Brenda. I don't know nothing about these arts and crafts type things. But it is definately hand made by.. somebody. It was a cool find, not sure on its age or anything though.
SAM_0651.JPGSAM_0655.JPG

And here is the tip to that angry miner's pick! Very cool find. Something I would never hope to find up here in MN. Just cool.
SAM_0697.JPGSAM_0698.JPG

Not much I know! But if ya wanna check out some cool rocks I found check out my post "Arizona Trip Agate Nodules" in the Rock/Gem forum! Those are just a few of the rocks I found. thanks for looking! HH everyone, now that I'm back in cold country I'm done till spring :sadsmiley:

Upvote 3
I believe the "strange buckle thing" is a suspender clip. Cool finds! Really like the hammer/pry bar! Lost by a previous prospector?

Hey I bet your right, sure does look like a suspender buckle now that ya said it! But yeah I'm pretty sure the hammer was an old crate hammer since everything was shipped around in real wood boxes back in the day. Found it out in the desert, middle of nowhere so who lost it, I will never know.

The hammer is a crate pry bar. They bring about 10 bucks on epay. The handle looks like a trunk handle. Look and see if it has Ford or V8 on it. If it does it's worth about 30 bucks.
Hope someone chimes in on the fish cookie lookin thing. Good luck.

Interesting relics!

Thanks everyone for the input, I took a closer look at the handle, I'm pretty sure its just a camper handle, has a few numbers on it, serial number I'm sure. But thats it. it sure was a fun trip even though We didn't get much of that yellow stuff. (My gramps traded some lake superior agates for a real nice nugget and some flour gold) But he didn't find any. I did look a little closer at a small piece of quartz I found while panning and sure enough it looks like a bit of gold in it so even though I kinda lost the little piece I found I still came back with some, I think. I still have a pretty full bucket of concentrates I'm gonna start working on too. The black sand in this one area I was in was so thick you could almost pick up handfulls of mostly black sand. But that still doesn't mean theres gold in it... We shall see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back