Are these pulleys?

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These have me and my group I hunt with stumped. The top middle brass one was found in an 1850's site. The iron ones were all found in 1870's sites. My buddies have all found the brass and iron ones in their 1850's sites. We have pretty much ruled out a chain pulley for a clock. The closest matches we have found are a hanging lamp chain pulley or a window shade pulley. The only problem is that we have not found an exact match. Can anyone help us?

Thank You in advance!
IM

Attachments

• IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0975.JPG
    IMG_0975.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
They look familiar, just can't put my finger on it. Seems like I may have seen something similar on a cuckoo clock. The inside of the pulley looks like it has edges which would grab the chains which held the weights ?

Upvote 0
I am telling my AGE by knowing what those are. Some old home buyers want to keep everything original with their old windows , til they see what everything costs, PLUS the cost of labor involved !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do look like they could have been mounted on the end of a shaft or something by the 3 counter sunk screw holes.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys! The jury is still out until we can see something period to definitely attribute these to any one thing.

tamrock good eye! That was a point of discussion in my group. The brass wheel you can obviously see that there were beveled screws and the holes are pulled to one side.

IM

Upvote 0
They look familiar, just can't put my finger on it. Seems like I may have seen something similar on a cuckoo clock. The inside of the pulley looks like it has edges which would grab the chains which held the weights ?

My first thought (which is CLEARLY WRONG since the timeline is the 1850's!) is that these might be internal pulleys for an analog AM/FM tuner.

You know, the "old style" receivers that had a long cord or string inside that would physically move the dial indicator as you changed the station.
...And right about now, everyone under thirty years old is scratching their heads saying "huh?" :dontknow:

Of course, Marconi didn't invent the radio until at least 1895, and it would be some years after that before the widgets I'm talking about would be in widespread use.

Upvote 0
I have seen those and I don't think they are pulleys but instead small gears, what from I can't remember, although I know it was in something I tore apart to see how it worked.They remind me of the bobbins on old treadle sewing machines but I know that is not what they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Notice how these clockworks gears look similar, could be yours sandwiched another gear.stock-photo-details-clockwork-old-clock-closeup-281544518.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back