✅ SOLVED Are these live rounds and what is it from?

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: Dug this at about 8-10 inches at site that once had a house and barn (ca. 1880s) This was found in the area that I think the barn was located due to some of the other items found nearby. Sure looks like some type of ammo/bullets to me, but why 10 rounds? Is it a .22 cal round? What type of gun or others is it from---Or am I way off the mark? Three of the rounds have an "S" on the bottom (last photo). I have not completely cleaned. Any information would be appreciated - Thanks!
DSC_0014_19.JPGDSC_0016_21.JPGDSC_0018_23.JPGDSC_0034_27.JPG

Those are .22 blanks. They look to be fired. I am pretty sure that is a cartridge for a type of nail gun.
EDIT: could also be to some type of livestock slaughtering device as well. They are called "captive bolt guns" and use blanks to shoot a metal rod into the animals skull, I think it's more likely for one of these.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Those are definitely loads for a Ramset nail gun. They are not fired, you can tell because they are still crimped, they open up when fired. From the condition I'd say they're not in any danger of going off. That type of "Powder Actuated Nailer" is used mainly to fasten the bottom plate of a wall to a concrete slab. Also, they are actually .25 cal.

ramset.jpgramset 2.jpg

Upvote 0
Must be some highly corrosive soil in that neighborhood. Those Ramset loads are fairly recent, but they look like they've been in the ground since the Civil War!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back