Anyone use old Whites?

whitewill_1

Jan 5, 2013
Pittsburgh PA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Whites TDI, FISHER F2, BOUNTY HUNTER JUNIOR, WHITES COINMASTER 6000Di S2, Garrett ProPointer, FISHER PINPOINTER, SUNJOE HORI HORI DIGGER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MY WHITES SILVER EAGLE IS A 1991 AND STILL WORKS GREAT---:thumbsup:

The 5000D GEB was my first good detector that was the culprit that got me really going in this hobby. I had only one detector prior to this and that was back in the 70's, it was a BFO and I think that I only found maybe 3 coins with it. The 5000D however was a different story, I found many great finds with this detector, I got my first large cent with, first diamond ring and the list goes on. It's not the kind of detector you're going to hunt dirt piles with. They were nick named ground scrubbers cause you really had to keep them flat on the ground to find the deeper stuff. They would truly discriminate out iron, once you got proficient with one of these you would never again have to dig a nail. They are a non motion detector and completely different from the newer motion detectors. I still have mine but you can't read anything on the case where the numbers/letters got rubbed off from extensive use but it still works ;D

The 5000D GEB was my first good detector that was the culprit that got me really going in this hobby. I had only one detector prior to this and that was back in the 70's, it was a BFO and I think that I only found maybe 3 coins with it. The 5000D however was a different story, I found many great finds with this detector, I got my first large cent with, first diamond ring and the list goes on. It's not the kind of detector you're going to hunt dirt piles with. They were nick named ground scrubbers cause you really had to keep them flat on the ground to find the deeper stuff. They would truly discriminate out iron, once you got proficient with one of these you would never again have to dig a nail. They are a non motion detector and completely different from the newer motion detectors. I still have mine but you can't read anything on the case where the numbers/letters got rubbed off from extensive use but it still works ;D

Sounds good. How deep would you say it finds coins? Will 9v batteries work?

whitewill_1 said:
Sounds good. How deep would you say it finds coins? Will 9v batteries work?

I had a 5000/D in the 80's. It will find coins at 5 inches or so if soil is ok. The disc does work very well. Get you an 8 AA battery holder from Radio Shack for about $3. That's what they came with. You can use a 9v, although the voltage is too low it will work, I have used them in a pinch when it was all I had available.

I had a 5000/D in the 80's. It will find coins at 5 inches or so if soil is ok. The disc does work very well. Get you an 8 AA battery holder from Radio Shack for about $3. That's what they came with. You can use a 9v, although the voltage is too low it will work, I have used them in a pinch when it was all I had available.

This one has 2 9v connecters. Looks like maybe it was modified. Would 18 volts hurt it?

whitewill_1 said:
This one has 2 9v connecters. Looks like maybe it was modified. Would 18 volts hurt it?

It is only rated for 12v, check to see if they wired them in parallel or series. They most likely are running 9v in parallel for some extra time. 18v would be way to high in my opinion. If they are in parallel you can just use one of the connectors with your 8AA pack and tape off the other one.

It is only rated for 12v, check to see if they wired them in parallel or series. They most likely are running 9v in parallel for some extra time. 18v would be way to high in my opinion. If they are in parallel you can just use one of the connectors with your 8AA pack and tape off the other one.

Thanks. Looks like parallel

I have the 5000/d I love it. It never lets me down and it got me buying a modern machine because I'm really hooked now.

I'm using a Whites 6000/Di series 2, and after 15yrs. of it being in the closet, I put a new set of batteries in and it still works like the day I bought it. Yesterday My Family and I went detecting with it and found a few things (trash) ,But we had a lot of fun.

Old Coin Master lll, but now hanging in the closet. It worked without any problems under the high voltage lines, so I may have to fire it up again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back