Anyone seen anything like this: whale design and whale skin bowl?

Tink

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any insight to the origin of this bowl will be greatly appreciated. It's big: 21" by 14" at the top, and heavy 12.5 pounds. The sides are 1.5" thick. It has a design of painted on whales and is covered in some kind of hide and because of the design we speculate that it could be whale hide. Our best guess is that it is clay or earthenware underneath the hide. There is no artist signature or mark that we could find. Anyone seen anything like this before? Many thanks for any help and happy treasure hunting!

Attachments

• Whale top.JPG
    Whale top.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 439
  • Whale bottomsmall.jpg
    Whale bottomsmall.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Whale side.JPG
    Whale side.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 389
Tink, Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. I think your item was made for the tourist trade. It appears to be a large seal/whale oil lamp
covered in not whale skin but seal skin notice the follicles on the hide. "whales don't have hair" some of these bowls are quite large yours may have been used as a lamp originally then embellished with skin for sale. To use it as intended with oil now the hide would fall off. It seams to be unique I haven't found any other examples with skin. Here are a couple pic's, large and small examples. Maybe someone can shed more light on this? HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
edit to my quote, some whales do exhibit hair. Just not as much as seen on the skin on your bowl.
BK

Attachments

• seal oil lamp.jpg
    seal oil lamp.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 444
  • seal oil lamp large.jpg
    seal oil lamp large.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Hi Broken knee and thank you very much for your answer. That makes perfect sense to me. So it appears that this item went from rock, to oil lamp, to bowl, and was a work of art the whole time. In gratitude for you in put. Tink

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back