diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several items that I purchased recently that are Russian and I need a translation. I have a few more items to post but i'll start with these books-

DSC03586.jpgDSC03582.jpg

Can anybody translate these?

My foreign language knowledge is rather limited especially with Eastern European regions. Since I'm attempting to also learn myself, here's a go at it.

The books are Ukrainian I believe, as some letters do not appear in Russian. Both Russian and Ukrainian use the Cyrillic alphabet, and are quite similar in many words.

First Book Translation is:
NARODNÌ USMISHKY

The only online information I could find matching that, was related to Ukrainian folklore.

Usmishky translates as "Smiles" in Ukrainian.

Second Book Title:
MOREAU'S LIFE MEŽÌN′

The last word may be off, as I was not sure on that.

Author appears to be:
YURIY VURÂKÌVEC′

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you tried Google translator?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0
My foreign language knowledge is rather limited especially with Eastern European regions. Since I'm attempting to also learn myself, here's a go at it.

The books are Ukrainian I believe, as some letters do not appear in Russian. Both Russian and Ukrainian use the Cyrillic alphabet, and are quite similar in many words.

First Book Translation is:
NARODNÌ USMISHKY

The only online information I could find matching that, was related to Ukrainian folklore.

Usmishky translates as "Smiles" in Ukrainian.

Second Book Title:
MOREAU'S LIFE MEŽÌN′

The last word may be off, as I was not sure on that.

Author appears to be:
YURIY VURÂKÌVEC′

CC Hunter
Okay, stupid me didn't look inside the cover of the larger book. The title page is in English and he signed it! However, I can't find any information on the book or the author. It says 1 of 1000 copies also. I think this may be a case of rare doesn't mean valuable.

DSC03585.jpg

I guess the smaller pocket book is a book of Ukrainian folkore humor?

Thanks for helping.

Upvote 0
Here are a couple more items that I can't read. Obviously it's perfume but... translation needed.

I guess this site is having technical difficulties again since the pics won't load. Seems to be happening a lot lately.

I get a notice saying-

Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired. <br />

<br />
Please reload the window

Anybody else?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The signature doesn't seem to match the author's name.
Don.....

The signature matches in Cyrillic cursive. Look at how the name is printed directly below the photo. Also I see now the last name translates to beginning with B rather than V. In Cyrillic B is pronounced as V, and the letter that looks like a lower case b with a curly dash is actually B as we know it in English.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Yes they are in fact Ukrainian. The first on translates literally as "country jokes"...or you could say "country stories", so I assume it is "Ukrainain folktales".

Upvote 0
Yes they are in fact Ukrainian. The first on translates literally as "country jokes"...or you could say "country stories", so I assume it is "Ukrainain folktales".
Thank you. Any ideas on these perfumes-

DSC03622.jpgDSC03621.jpg

communist propaganda plain & simple dawg
Really? Your insight is amazing. Tell me, to what do you base your superior knowledge of the Russian/Ukranian language on? Are you a scholar, or a liguist/ployglot perhaps? huh... DAWG?

Upvote 0
The box with perfume bottles is also from Ukraine.

Чкраіна = Ukraine in Cyrillic :)

CC Hunter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you tried Google translator?

Treasure_Hunter,

Online translation such as Google and Bing is only useful if a person has the ability to enter the text in the correct format. Since most of our keyboards here in USA do not have Cyrillic alphabet characters, it is very difficult if not impossible to type words using this alphabet. If something is already in text format online, I often simply drag the cursor, highlight and copy (CTRL C), and then paste (CTRL V) into a translation window. However, a photo of words (such as we have here) does not allow copy and paste of text. :)

What I have found works in these cases, is to simply go to a page with the other alphabet format, such as for Cyrillic, and select the correct letter individually then copy and paste. It is slow, but at least allows me the ability to write in another alphabet format.

Cyrillic alphabets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wrote Чкраіна using this technique, one letter copied and pasted at a time.

For over twenty years I have worked in International Import/Export, so a basic knowledge of other language forms is quite useful. Seems though, I'm still working hard trying to perfect my native tongue of English as well.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
the book says "beautiful Moscow"....the perfume says "something"...."Ukraine"...i can't be sure it is hard to read.

Upvote 0
oops...not a book...box cover....."beautiful Moscow"

Upvote 0
....the perfume says "something"...."Ukraine"...i can't be sure it is hard to read.

As near as I can tell, it is Riana (or Ріана in Ukrainian). The last symbol is a flower, rather than a letter.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
Actually now that I study the third letter in the other word before Ukraine, it is a slightly different letter than the other letters "a". It may be a cursive style д, which is the letter "d". That would be Рідна, which translates as Native.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back