Anyone know what these two small items may be or what date they may have?

recentlycured

Jun 28, 2013
ForumRunner_20130920_220939.png

ForumRunner_20130920_220958.png

ForumRunner_20130920_221017.png

The thing with the oval hole looks like part of a picture locket. The other looks like it might be a hair piece or sash buckle, not sure which.

Upvote 0
Actually, after looking at the buckle in the pic with the penny in it, I'm sure it's too small to be a hairpiece or sash buckle. I do think a ribbon ran through it and it acted as a buckle of sorts, maybe just for decoration, maybe for a doll or shoes.

Upvote 0
I thought picture locket as well but then thought were they even able to have pictures that small back then?

Upvote 0
May have had a cameo or semi-precious stone (maybe just colored glass "stone") in it?
Seeing the back might help determine what it was meant to accomodate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have an original tin type of my great grandfather, and it's tiny, and would fit in that locket. I'm sure the size indicates that was all he could afford, the picture is in an album of other family photos, and he had joined the army, OVI, but in the photo you can't tell. Also a larger photo of a great Uncle, who was a 1st Lieutenant, and had a little more money. Just my swag though. Perhaps today I can search out that tintype and post it here.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back