Anyone know stamps 3 cent Washington

I'm not a stamp person, but I remember licking a lot of those. As a kid I was inclined to use to much spit, and the darn things wouldn't stick on the envelope.

Upvote 0
What did you want to know? They are cancelled, so that drops any value. Quite awhile ago, they were used - alot - on the 3 cent postcard. However, there are things to look for which can date them. First - the date on the "cancel" stamp. Obviously, they were cancelled in West Virginia. Since it is cancelled with a W.VA, it was cancelled after 1963 - two letter state abbreviations started in 1963. But, of course, people use older stamps when postage rises, at least until the post office started the "forever" stamps.

For the stamp itself, there are some places on line that can tell you which "version" of the Washington 3 centers you have, because it was modified several times. You may find this site particularly interesting.

United States Stamp Values - Civil War Era and the 1869 Pictorials

Mrs.O

Upvote 0
I'm just lost I tons of different pres stamps countries I guess best thing is to take them to a pro

Upvote 0
I have to disagree with Mrs. O.

I think the periods in the cancellation tell the tale. According to the USPS website the list publish in June of '63 did not include any periods in the state abbreviations to provide room for the new 5 digit zipcode on the address. In October of '63 they began using the 2 letter abbreviations we know today (WV for West Virginia).

That makes the stamps pre-1963.

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/state-abbreviations.pdf

Upvote 0
The stamp on the left is called a horizontal coil stamp (no perforations in either the top of bottom) which may add to its value. The stamp on the right was issued in the 1800s. I'll add more later unless others pop in.
Don....

Upvote 0
I do know the stamps are 1800s especially the unperforated one. The black Washington I cannot find. I have other old ones to I will post later

Upvote 0
Actually for what I read that black Washington or deep violet may be worth quit a bit I think it's 1911 but who knows stamps are complicated

Upvote 0
Actually, the 3 cent is deep violet:
0333.jpg

Don.....

Upvote 0
The red stamp can drive a sane man insane attempting to accurately attribute. For starters, that same image (and in the three cent value) was printed in 1851, 1857 and reprinted in 1875. I wish it were that easy, but there is more. As to the 1851 issue (noted as stamps 10 and 11 in the reference below) there were 16 or 17 variations to the 'red' color; each has a catalog number. Several other subtle characteristics will separate what variety you have.
The source I provide below is interesting,colorful and educational. I hope you enjoy it.
Don......

US stamps

Upvote 0
Here is a couple more

Repub franc 40c postes 40c the second one I'm not to sure if anyone càn find any info please let me know

Upvote 0
You would have to devote ever second of your time if you collected stamps lol little tiny lines how they are centered everything is a different number

Upvote 0
Second stamp:
Austrian Empire: In 1871, the independent postal administration of the Kingdom of Hungary began to issue its own postage stamps, featuring the portrait of King Franz Josef.
Between 1874 and 1880, the 1867 definitive stamp designs were reissued within the Austrian Empire.
To see the difference (between the coarse and fine printing), click on this reference:
http://www.austrianstamps.co.uk/ahemp/1867_74/index.html
Don......
PS: Yours can easily be seen as being issued in the reissued group of 'fine' printing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks mackaydon good info and stamps are by far not easy to find info

Upvote 0
Ahhh. I see I knew something was odd lol.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back