Anyone know about this Minelab coin?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was given to me a while back bit I cant find a single reference to it online. Ever seen one before? What were they originally given for?

20171016_104328.jpg20171016_104314.jpg

metal_detector.gif
I agree completely! I searched a bunch and that (EBay) was the only solid hit on one of the coins. I really thought I could (at least) find some history.

Yeah, I have spent a lot of time digging for something on it, but nothing. That Ebay ad is the first time I've actually seen another one.

Upvote 0
Very nice solid chunk of .999 FINE!:headbang: I'd keep it. Very cool coin with genuine value.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Get in touch with Minelab. They have Minelab seeded hunts every year and give away great prizes. That may have been a prize they donated to a club hunt. There is a product promotion department that will give you more information as well as Minelab Forums.

Upvote 0
The detector pictured on the coin looks like my old Minelab Musketeer. I found my first silver with that machine!

Upvote 0
The detector pictured on the coin looks like my old Minelab Musketeer. I found my first silver with that machine!

The Musky wasnt released until 1994, so Id bet the one on the coin is a Sovereign or an XT series.

Upvote 0
OK, so I have been looking for info on this again, and stumbled upon something I hadnt seen before. I found an old sales listing on some obscure forum for a handful of these. The seller stated they were commissioned as a give away promotional by "Down Under Treasures" in Arizona. The same time as these coins were made, DUT was mentioned by Andy Sabich as the importer for Minelab detectors.

Upvote 0
Wilma Beaumont had those made from 1992 - 1994. She had Down Under Treasures store in Henderson Nevada and was a Minelab dealer. Wilma is still around and detecting. I think she's in Northern Nevada now.

Upvote 0
Just kind of a side thing....Anyone can have those type of coins made, for whatever they want. I looked into it at one time...Something like $400 depending on how detailed for set up, so much for the for the first so many, then a price decrease after that on top of the silver cost. They really aren't all that bad (considering) to have a couple hundred or more made with whatever you want on them.

Upvote 0
Wilma Beaumont had those made from 1992 - 1994. She had Down Under Treasures store in Henderson Nevada and was a Minelab dealer. Wilma is still around and detecting. I think she's in Northern Nevada now.

Thanks! You're the first person with some solid info about these. I would love to know how many were made. I always assumed this was a corporate thing, I guess this is why its been so hard to discover information about them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back