Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 556
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 553
i don't know much but my guess would be 1887-1900

i think its whats called a cowboy bullet or smokeless, but could be wrong.

Upvote 0
.45-55, .45-70 or .50-70 depending on it's size.

Yours looks like it was loaded in June 1881 (6 81).

R = Rifle

F = Frankfort Arsenal

Unfired lead ball-load...

4570Benet.jpg

Upvote 0
I think the last question has already been answered unless you are refering to .45-70 or 50-70, etc. That first number is the caliber expressed in 100ths of an inch and the second number means how many grains of black powder is loaded into the case. It looks like a .50-100 to me, one of the biggest cartridges ever, .50 caliber bullet, 100 grains of black powder. There was also a .45-100. Used for buffalo hunters in the US and a few rifles were made for big game in a Africa. Monty

Upvote 0
Someone is always worried about a loaded cartridge being safe. It is as safe as as you are. Unless you smash it with a hammer on the bottom or throw it onto concrete on purpose or burn it it won't go off. By the same token, if you stick your finger in a fire it will burn you, ditto if you spill acid on your hand, same thing. You can handle it all day, pass it around , examine it and it will not go off. Monty

Upvote 0
Monty said:
Someone is always worried about a loaded cartridge being safe. It is as safe as as you are. Unless you smash it with a hammer on the bottom or throw it onto concrete on purpose or burn it it won't go off. By the same token, if you stick your finger in a fire it will burn you, ditto if you spill acid on your hand, same thing. You can handle it all day, pass it around , examine it and it will not go off. Monty

Well said :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back