Anyone have a guess on age of this weathervien

the attire of the figures would suggest maybe 1860's, but not so sure if construction of the piece matches that time period

Upvote 0
I have a guess but it's only a guess.Judging by my interpretation of the figures style of clothing I'd guess1840's-1850's.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks guys I like the figure prob just take them off and use them for something different

Upvote 0
Is that aluminum I'm seeing? 1970's maybe.
I agree the scrapes through the finish at the mans foot look suspiciously aluminum with that whiteish color but the screws are period correct versus Phillips head screws used in many modern reproductions.Dunno..

Upvote 0
Some closer pics

I tested it it's not magnetic

Upvote 0
Aahhh,it's1900's than.If it were mid 1800 it would have been iron with rusted areas.Still neat piece though.

Upvote 0
Over and above it being aluminum, I'd be doubtful that it was ever mounted, there's no bullet holes.

Upvote 0
Looks like pot metal to me. Same type of screws as my 40's & 50's Chevrolet's. Is it heavy?

Upvote 0
They're made out of aluminum, I've seen a few. They are just modern (now vintage) replica types made in the 60's and 70's.

Collectors of American antiques love weathervanes. In fact, people love them so much that during the 60s and 70s antique weathervanes started disappearing from roofs across America. Thieves were stealing the valuable vanes in the middle of the night. I heard stories of weathervanes being stolen away by helicopter – they swooped down and lifted weathervanes off of barn roofs. Antique Weathervanes | Original Surface on Horse, Rooster, and Car Weathervanes | Skinner Inc.

Upvote 0
No it's not heavy its aluminum

Upvote 0
If it's at least 25yrs old then it's still an antique, right? Isn't that the prerequisite ?

Upvote 0
I'm with 40's 50's as there was a kind of revival of everything being colonial in home decor and housing design.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back