Anyone ever hear of exhaling on a diamond ?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I’ve seen it on old movies:
They used to bite gold coins to test for real gold and “huff” on diamond rings. Then they’d hold the ring up to a light source and look at it. Must have been for the reason you mentioned.🤔

I am being told to exhale on a diamond and it will not fog up. Glass will. Anyone ever try this ?
It's not quite that cut & dried. Diamonds will fog up, but supposedly dissipate faster than glass.

I wouldn't rely on just this one subjective test.

Is the stone mounted or loose? This will bear on which tests are appropriate.

Google how to tell if a diamond is real

I was watching TV quiz show. It said an easy way to check a diamond was to breathe on it. If it fogs up it is glass but not diamond/ Just wondering if anyone has any input on this method ? Might be good for flea market sales and garage sales​

I think diamonds dissipate heat faster than the simulants
so there could be some science there, but I would think you would want to do a bit of testing before you jump in. I use a 10 power loupe, the facet junctions are sharper on a diamond then a CZ, but once again you would have to look at quite a few to see the difference.

I am being told to exhale on a diamond and it will not fog up. Glass will. Anyone ever try this ?
Don't listen to none of those home tests I found a CZ that passed all but one so called home test ghost of forest stopped by with his real tester and no it was not real so after that I put it over a butane lighter for 30 seconds n dropped it in some water n it shattered just like it was supposed to if fake so the heat test is the only one that's a real test that other stuff is BS just keep in mind it is a destructive test but true.

Don't listen to none of those home tests I found a CZ that passed all but one so called home test ghost of forest stopped by with his real tester and no it was not real so after that I put it over a butane lighter for 30 seconds n dropped it in some water n it shattered just like it was supposed to if fake so the heat test is the only one that's a real test that other stuff is BS just keep in mind it is a destructive test but true.
Thank you :)

No, but I’ve seen it on old movies:
They used to bite gold coins to test for real gold and “huff” on diamond rings. Then they’d hold the ring up to a light source and look at it. Must have been for the reason you mentioned.🤔
I once showed a guy a beautiful jewelry quality nugget I found. The idiot bit it then threw it on the ground saying "that's not real, it's fake". I felt like knocking him out. 😡
That was the last time I let anyone handle that type again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back