Anybody have a technique for cleaning Cupro-nickel?

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• 1885 Swiss.jpg
    1885 Swiss.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 62
I've been playing with my ultrasonic cleaner now for about 6 months. It helps on finds like this, but isn't the final answer

Upvote 0
When they get that bad, the more you clean off the "crud", the less detail you will have. Andre's pencils will probably be your best bet.

Upvote 0
When they get that bad, the more you clean off the "crud", the less detail you will have. Andre's pencils will probably be your best bet.

Thanks. I need to get one of those pencils.

Upvote 0

I agree with what you're saying here Mark. :thumbsup:
When there's this much environmental damage to the surface, it's unlikely that any type of restoration will make this coin presentable.

I'll also be the first to admit... the reality is that some of the finds we make just can't be restored. :dontknow:
Dave

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you want to get rid of the green clumps, I'd soak it in olive oil for about a month and then use a toothpick to pop those off. It's not a particularly rare coin, so, even if you could improve the condition somewhat, it won't do much to it's value. I'm sure it's valuable to you though, as it's your "Treasure"! :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
If you want to get rid of the green clumps, I'd soak it in olive oil for about a month and then use a toothpick to pop those off. It's not a particularly rare coin, so, even if you could improve the condition somewhat, it won't do much to it's value. I'm sure it's valuable to you though, as it's your "Treasure"! :icon_thumleft:

Nah .. not real valuable, but a fun find since it's the only one I have found in my 50 years of metal detecting.

Upvote 0
Jeeez, you must be an old fart like me!..... 48+ years and counting....

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd use an old phone charger and do electrolysis

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back