Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• Scan_20170509.png
    Scan_20170509.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 72
Its valuable as a relic :icon_thumright: looks like some sort of strap tightener. Its cool, good find!

Upvote 0
I'm new to this, so I hope that I get it right. I know that this is nothing valuable, I'm just curious as to what it might be. I have found 2 of these at different sites. This one is 2 inches long and made of copper. The writing on it says "made only by Potter & Smith Boston." Thanks

Yep. What you have is a suspender strap / clip that was patented by Thomas O Potter & William Smith (1870's). They had a few different patents for a few different designs. Cool find!

Upvote 0
I'm new to this, so I hope that I get it right. I know that this is nothing valuable, I'm just curious as to what it might be. I have found 2 of these at different sites. This one is 2 inches long and made of copper. The writing on it says "made only by Potter & Smith Boston." Thanks

...also...not sure about it being made of copper though. Possible that it is brass?

Upvote 0
Yeah I think it looks a lot like some sort of buckle/clip. I Also think that it may possibly be made of brass. Pretty neat find :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Thanks mglentz4125, i was able to eek out the date of 1870 on the other one i have. You're smarter than the average bear.

Upvote 0
Thanks mglentz4125, i was able to eek out the date of 1870 on the other one i have. You're smarter than the average bear.

My wife just interviewed some bears and has confirmed that they are smarter. :)

Upvote 0
Yep. What you have is a suspender strap / clip that was patented by Thomas O Potter & William Smith (1870's). They had a few different patents for a few different designs. Cool find!

That's what I thought it was..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back