All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 559
  • tt.jpg
    tt.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 552
Looks a bit like a flat fender Willys Jeep to me. That would make it WWII era.

Upvote 0
It looks like a Willys "Jeepster" that came out in the 1950s. You had your choice of a hardshell body or a ragtop. Lady across the street use to have one in about 1956, I think.www.jeepsterclub.com Monty

Upvote 0
Monty and TT are correct.

TOOTSIETOY 1947/8 WILLYS (year of release was 1948) I have seen these in a few other colors (painted by the owners?) to include the "army" verision.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, thanks for the info on my toy find. That sounds right in line with everything else I have been finding at this property (1942 & 1944 wheat pennies and a 1941 dog tag). Now if I could just find some silver. ;D
-MM-

Upvote 0
:) Kool stuff there MM. I like the way you've been tryin' to date your neat hunting site there. 8) By carefully questioning each and every neat little piece of the time/history puzzle of your site, you'll almost be able to sort of, associate a kind of, "personality-link" to each one of those mini-time trophys of yours... ;) What kind of kid played with that TootsieToy? ???

As a matter of fact, our man Montana Jim, has pointed out that this boy would now be a baby boomer and there's a decent chance in that, that he's still runin' around somewhere right now, just like us. :) :) Imagine, if you will, if only the owner of that kool, little ol' Willys could be found to-day, like the way some folks track down others who've lost their beautiful rings. 8) The look on the guys face and the tons of memories that it would suddenly cause him to see and or feel because of that beat up ol' Tootsie you've uncovered ;D would be such a real rush... 8) You would immediately find out the name of his beloved ol dog too, as you show him that kool ol tag... :o ;D

To me, that cool little TT that you have, sort of, brought back to life here with us, is worth way more than the quarter or dime or corroded out zinkys, that I will find when I hunt in the parks up here in Kanuksville. ;) You can't put a "money" value on history really. It's priceless. 8) Recognizing our treasures sometimes in life, can get a bit foggy. That's another great reason to LOVE TNet friends, it goes a long ways towards helping to lift lots of lifes' foggy moments... ;)

There's way more to real THunting, than just picking up the loose change the careless folks from the past have lost last week in the park. :) These older property places, like the one you are hunting here Modern Miner, offer a very RICH History lesson too. There still may well be a piece or three of silver around there yet, buddyman. I wouldn't be giving up hope just yet. You know MM, anyone fortunate enough to be standing in places like that these days, and gifted with a pair each of eyes and ears that work well enough to be able to post here, and a mind that can do a little pondering on stuff, is going to get WAY more out of this wonderful hobby than just a pocket full of recently fallen clad stuff. Knowing and feeling and believing that, can make our next days afield, even more rewarding and fulfilling. 8) Glad you have shared another piece of adventure out of your life in here again. 8) We love your tales... :) :)

Oh Montana JIm, would you have a good link or two for TootsieToys, that you've used? You certainly seem to know your TT's and I've found a couple that I'd love to be able to ID better. Thx 4 any in advance dude. 8)

LarryB

Upvote 0
Larrybass, actually... it was all google and e-bay. And surfing through endless streams of pictures of TTs hoping to find the same one! What I found was that this truck was kinda hard to find where some were very common!

I googled & ebay'd "tootsietoy willys army"

Here are some sites I looked through:

http://www.atlantaantiquegallery.com/wsm/c-482_tootsietoy.html

http://toys.listings.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-Diecast_TootsieToy_W0QQsacatZ2516QQsocmdZListingItemList

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3b/Toys/Tootsietoys.html

Upvote 0
Montana,
Thanks for supplying those web sites. Too bad my TT wasn't in better condition.

Larry,
Great to hear from you. I just love the thrill of the search in this hobby. I e-mailed the owner of the property with pictures of my finds to see if he remembered any of these items. I also offered him any of the items if he wanted them. Still waiting for a reply from him. I'll keep you posted.
I did a little research on the 1941 dog tag I found. It has "Dr. William Moore - Raleigh" engraved on it. Turns out he must have been a pretty big name in the veterinarian field back then, as they have a street named after him at the NC State veterinarian hospital here in Raleigh. I e-mailed the college to get more info on him, and offered the tag to them if they have a display set up at the college honoring him.
Again, I'll keep you all posted if I hear back anything.
-MM-

Attachments

• Dog Tag.jpg
    Dog Tag.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 429
  • Dog Tag.jpg
    Dog Tag.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 409
Upvote 0
Here's one that look's alot like yours MM. Not exactly mint condition either, but they sure are neat old 40,s relics.

Attachments

• TTarmy jeep 4tonm38.jpg
    TTarmy jeep 4tonm38.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
silverswede said:
Here's one that look's alot like yours MM. Not exactly mint condition either, but they sure are neat old 40,s relics.
1960's CJ-5 6 inches.missing windshield.I have a collectors guide for tootsietoys for anyone needing ID on any tootsietoys. :)

Upvote 0
diggummup said:
silverswede said:
1960's CJ-5 6 inches.missing windshield.I have a collectors guide for tootsietoys for anyone needing ID on any tootsietoys. :)
:'( :'( :'( this was one of my favorite toys....

Upvote 0
Very Kool MM, looks like a for real, piece of local history you've unearthed there, my friend. How Kool is it that you emailed buddy about his property? 8) It'll be interesting to hear what the university has to say about your generous offer too. We're pullin' for ya up here in Kanuksville tonight dude! :) By the way, this was a great post to start, hopefully we will see just how many folks in here like TT's. Slick move, again, ModernMinerMan! 8)

Hey Monty, did you have one of these units too? Looks like ya coulda loaded some of those kool ol' marbles you had then, in the back there? ;D
Monty said:
It looks like a Willys "Jeepster" that came out in the 1950s. You had your choice of a hardshell body or a ragtop. Lady across the street use to have one in about 1956, I think. www.jeepsterclub.com Monty
! Were ya watchin' her or the jeep buddyman? ;) I thought you were supposed to be playin' marbles? ;D

MontanaJim, holy moly, great links there friend! :) Your right too, pretty tough to beat Google at lookin' up the Kool stuff! I've bookmarked them so I can check them out later, when I deke out of here for a bit. Much appreciated dude. ;)

Oh Michelle, ma belle, when I saw your first post in here, I cracked up! :D Then when I saw your second one, I realized you had been serious and I felt sad that you had actually lost one like that when you were young. Sorry! :-[ Wow! 8) A girl that liked TT jeeps way back then even, while many of her friends were playin' house! The clock spins ahead a few years, and suddenly you are Now, into THE Best Hobby in the world! You Rock Girl! 8)

Hey there Diggummup, :) Thanx for the offer to help ID some other TT's with your appearantly, bang on Tootsie Book, there Mr. 8) I'm going to see if I can round up a couple of the little, albeit, newer models of TT's, that I have around here, so you can maybe look them up and stuff. Thx again buddy! ;)

Silverswede, where'd ya score that little beauty man? ::) 8) Is there maybe a story to go with it too, perchance? Don't be shy, we Tootsie lovers, Love details! ;D

Like I said before folks, there's more to MD'ing than just finding battery money! Way more! MM's post here has made us all want to contribute too, just because of some poor ol' toy that was lost many years ago, and brought back to life here, for us all to enjoy. 8)

Man, I LOVE MD'ing! ;D

Lb

Upvote 0
I pulled this Tootsie Toy Jeep up from a sidewalk demo. I also found an old USMC collar disk and a 1902 IH penny in the same general area. I figure the Jeep has to be at least from the early 60's. The Midge Toy Jeep, well the frontend came from a different area.

Attachments

• Jeeps 1.JPG
    Jeeps 1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Jeeps 2.JPG
    Jeeps 2.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 260
Upvote 0
Here's a Tootsie toy artillery piece to tow behind your jeep

Found at county park that goes back to the late 1800"s

Attachments

• ttcannon1.jpg
    ttcannon1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 211
Upvote 0
Tom,
Very neat cannon. I'll trade you my Jeepster up top for it. I'll even throw in some clad too. :-)
That is a great find.
-MM-

Upvote 0
Re: Here's a Tootsie toy artillery piece to tow behind your jeep

TomNWMI said:
I got your pm-If that is a one inch cannon then it comes from the Tootsietoy midget series that was produced between 1936 and 1941.My book is from 1991 an gives a price of between $5 and $9 dollars depending upon condition. :)

Upvote 0
Re: Here's a Tootsie toy artillery piece to tow behind your jeep

diggummup said:
TomNWMI said:
I got your pm-If that is a one inch cannon then it comes from the Tootsietoy midget series that was produced between 1936 and 1941.My book is from 1991 an gives a price of between $5 and $9 dollars depending upon condition. :)

Thanks for the information diggummup!

Its stored away in a box somewhere and can't put my finger on it, I'm terrible about that! LOL Anyway, if you are referring to the barrel length that sounds right. The overall length if I remember correctly is about 2"-3".

HH
Tom

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back