✅ SOLVED Any old lock officianandos out there?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!! POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED NEW PICS

I'm not trying to figure out "what" really, just a loose time frame. If that's possible by just the form & construction.

I haven't located any markings yet. It appears to be almost solid brass though. I might try cleaning it some more.

It was down pretty deep between two huge old trees. The area is known for age.

Appreciate any help, or, suggestions for cleaning.

Thanks!

2014 (188).jpg
2014 (189).jpg
2014 (190).jpg

I get the feeling that if this cleans up, it would still work.

Last edited:
That looks mid 1800's to me but I could be wrong. I have seen many locks my buddy digs up ( Even though I am never lucky enough to find one and only found one tiny one GRRR!@) Thats a gorgeous lock! Great find my friend :) I hope someone can back me up on age and sorry if I am wrong. HH!

Upvote 0
kick a$$. I love old locks and keys. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I can't date the lock for you, but thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0
That looks mid 1800's to me but I could be wrong. I have seen many locks my buddy digs up ( Even though I am never lucky enough to find one and only found one tiny one GRRR!@) Thats a gorgeous lock! Great find my friend :) I hope someone can back me up on age and sorry if I am wrong. HH!

That's ok. Looks like there just aren't many who know locks here anyway.

Thanks for trying!

Upvote 0
I know there are folks here who have padlock books (I'm not one of them, and don't really know much about them), but looking around online it seems 1870's-80's, possibly made by Bohannan. Is the shackle brass? I noted that the front of the shackle seemed a common place for the makers marks (on locks of this shape, for whatever reason). Hope this helps in some way.

Upvote 0
I know there are folks here who have padlock books (I'm not one of them, and don't really know much about them), but looking around online it seems 1870's-80's, possibly made by Bohannan. Is the shackle brass? I noted that the front of the shackle seemed a common place for the makers marks (on locks of this shape, for whatever reason). Hope this helps in some way.

Oh my yes! Anything helps. My guess is like yours, around 1870's. But, locks just aren't my forte.

Yeah, the whole thing appears to be brass.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

AND HERE"S THE PROOF!! Excellent hint nhbenz!!! Thanks!

2014 (217).jpg
2014 (218).jpg
2014 (219).jpg
2014 (220).jpg

nhbenz gave me the hint of where to look and after some cleaning, viola! LOL

Thanks folks!!

Upvote 0
Wow, it is in amazingly good shape.

Yeah, it really is! I posted an update in Today's Finds.

2014 (221).jpg2014 (222).jpg2014 (224).jpg2014 (225).jpg2014 (223).jpg

I heard something rattling around inside and fished out these two little pieces. I assume
they are bits of the key! LOL

And with just a bit of WD40, the top now moves freely! How about that for being buried
for God knows how long! It was about 10 inches deep!

What I'm unsure of is whether I should polish it up or leave it showing some of it's age.

It seems to be made entirely of brass, inside and out! Is that normal?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Brass pad locks are still very common. Especially with government agencies and definitely the military. Keys typically will not come out of the locks once opened, until they are locked again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back