✅ SOLVED Any Old Linemen Out There? What are These Cable Clamps Called?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found an old brown ceramic insulator in the woods the other day. It was still attached to a 40 foot steel cable, so I had to come back today with tools to remove it. There were two heavy duty clamps holding the cables in place that ran through the insulator. Brought everything home, just in case the clamps have some value.

Now here's my question. What the heck do you call these clamps? They have "Klimax Klamp" stamped on the back, but that info got me nowhere online. Nothing on eBay or with a Google search. I'm guessing they're from the 1930's, but not positive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

insulator attached.JPGclamp 1.JPGclamp 2.JPGclamp 3.JPG

That looks like parts from a "Down Guy" that would be attached to an "Anchor" set into the ground. The clamps probably have many nick names, linemen love to give pet names to all the parts and equipment! Cable Clamps, DG Clamp come to mind.

Upvote 0
As SeebeeRon said, it's a guy insulator and the the 3 bolt clamp is called a...well it's called a 3 bolt clamp. Here's a couple in a bit different style.
download.jpgima.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help! I'm just wondering why I can't find any info about the manufacturer? Maybe they weren't in business long and went belly up during The Great Depression.

Upvote 0
After taking a closer look, I see it's stamped with the name Joslyn. They opened in 1910 and they're still in the pole line hardware business today.

Upvote 0
After taking a closer look, I see it's stamped with the name Joslyn

Good eyes! You're right, it does have the name "Joslyn" on the back. Since they've been around for so long, it will be hard for me to accurately date these items. I'm still guessing 1930's, but it could be a little later than that.

Thanks for all the input, guys! I'll mark this one as solved.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back