Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out the other day for a bit and hiked back into the old coal fields above my house. No silver rings this time unfortunately but did find a couple old relics that are probably from the mining days. I am pretty sure I have seen seals like the first item many years ago but can't remember where. A magnet does not stick to it and it weighs 3.72 oz. Not sure of the metal....no green patina on the main body. It does not have the yellow color of brass when scratched. It is more reddish-brown like iron, but isn't iron magnetic?
Second item has " Ford Made In USA" embossed in it and I thought it might be a dust cover for an old Ford spindle. It is smashed together but appears to have threads inside. You can see grooves in the second picture anyway.
The old smashed bullet looks to have some age but not terribly old. It weighs 270 grains.
Hope someone can identify the thing that I thought is a seal. Thanks for looking.
panu9epa.jpg

yqagygum.jpg

agaryde4.jpg

ujyhebu9.jpg

jutyture.jpg

Thanks for your post, Nitric. These coal fields have been mined from just after the civil war until the 1900's. I have found the old shanties the original miners from the mid 1800's lived in. There is nothing left except the stacked stone foundations. When the company moved the mine, they took all the lumber with them in 1920's for other uses. There are tons of square nails, broken pottery and glass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The last one is a Model T spindle/hub cap. Tony

Because of your suggestion I found this picture on the net of what it would have looked like. Thanks!
image.jpg
Now how about that solid piece? Anyone else think it is a cable seal of some sorts or were those brads on either side electrical connectors maybe?

Upvote 0
the item on right may be zinc.a zinc anti corrosion anode did exist in the model t cooling system.

download.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back