DSCN3564.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 664
  • DSCN3545.jpg
    DSCN3545.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 675
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 445
Sky, I can't tell you anything about your knife, but I think it is a super COOL FIND! Breezie

Upvote 0
It looks like an older type throwing knife , I have a whole set that I think would look just like that one if I could see through the rust .
The end is cap is how you adjust the balance for throwing .
Yeah , I do think that is what you found .

Upvote 0
Daedalus said:
It looks like an older type throwing knife , I have a whole set that I think would look just like that one if I could see through the rust .
The end is cap is how you adjust the balance for throwing .
Yeah , I do think that is what you found .
Yes I agree...a throwing knife, cool find :thumbsup:

SS

Upvote 0
i dont think its a throwing knife. i fould one kinda like yours but the handle is different. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 525
Upvote 0
It is some type of dagger. Could be thrown sure, but not made just for throwing. I have seen a "commando" dagger that had a similar blade, sharp on both sides and designed for stabbing or slicing. Monty

Upvote 0
An idea for you to check out. Your knife could be similar or related to a fairbanks style fighting knife WW2.

Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round rubber pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?
Found at a location that has not been occupied since the late 40's early 50's.

are you sure its rubber pieces on the handle" i'm guessing if you look closer, you'll find the rings are leather which could date your dagger a lot earlier. if you can, pull (dont cut) one apart to see if its fiberous like leather.

Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
SkyPirate said:
Any idea of the age?

are you sure its rubber pieces on the handle" i'm guessing if you look closer, you'll find the rings are leather which could date your dagger a lot earlier. if you can, pull (dont cut) one apart to see if its fiberous like leather.

I totally agree. Lots of old hammers had leather laminated handles.

Upvote 0
Fairbane-Sykes have straighter hand guards, but blade design looks to be close. See if there is a maker's mark on the blade next to the handguard. I carried one for awhile, but went back to the more practical K-Bar.

Attachments

• Fairbane-Sykes 2nd Pattern (Medium).jpg
    Fairbane-Sykes 2nd Pattern (Medium).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
SkyPirate said:
Any idea of the age?

Yes you are correct, the rings are leather. They are very dry and break when i handle them. They look black but you can see some of the fibers inside are brownish. Thanks!

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 432
Upvote 0
kenley said:
Fairbane-Sykes have straighter hand guards, but blade design looks to be close. See if there is a maker's mark on the blade next to the handguard. I carried one for awhile, but went back to the more practical K-Bar.

Too rusted to see a makers mark.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 429
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Knife with a 7 inch blade ( the handle has round leather pieces on it)
Any idea of the age?

:help:

Upvote 0
That style knife is called an Arkansas toothpick. The original ones were very large but the newer ones can be had with 7 inch blades. I would guess that one is from the 1970s.

Upvote 0
taz42o said:
That style knife is called an Arkansas toothpick. The original ones were very large but the newer ones can be had with 7 inch blades. I would guess that one is from the 1970s.

I doubt the 70's, the area I found it in has not been touched since the 50's. There is not even a road in to this place anymore and it's on private property.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back